Email/Siri question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by socketwrench, Oct 18, 2011.

1. socketwrench macrumors newbie

Noob question: Can Siri handle email? Could I ask it to "send email to _____" and then speak the message and hit send? Thanks.

2. rayward macrumors 68000

No. It can read and reply to texts, but not email.

However, you can dictate an email message (or for any other app when the keyboard pops up). Just tap the microphone in the lower-left of the keyboard, and you can dictate your message.

3. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

You can send an email with Siri

4. theman510 macrumors 6502

I believe you can send an email by launching siri as you normally would, but it won't work for reading an email outloud.

5. socketwrench thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all for the replies. It would be very helpful if I could send short emails via the microphone and/or Siri- in fact, it's the factor that will determine whether I finally spring for an iPhone.

6. Leewalker19 macrumors regular

Yea you can. I saw video of it somewhere. You can't ask it to read aloud like texts, but it can send a email message to someone with you dictating the text.

7. socketwrench thread starter macrumors newbie

rayward,

Do you know how accurate the dictation is? Thanks.

8. dotme macrumors 6502a

Accuracy of dictation depends on clarity of speech, background noise and whether the words are common. Siri is pretty accurate for me though.

To answer your original question, I have composed and sent short emails completely hands-free using Siri + Bluetooth headset. Unlike texting with Bluetooth, she won't read your original message back to you before sending though, so you'd be best to look the email over on-screen before sending.

9. socketwrench thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback, dotme. I think this will work fine for my usage.

10. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

It works pretty well. You just have to get used to speaking the punctuation. Period. :p

11. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I continue to be quite amazed at how accurate the dictation is when using the email keyboard microphone icon to dictate...even in the car with plenty of noise the accuracy was over 95%...very impressive...