email spam

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by phadam, Dec 27, 2010.

1. phadam macrumors regular

i am setting up a small website for a work portfolio. I have a temporary page up for the time being with an html link for email contact. I replaced letters with character entities to encode the email address hoping it would help keep down spam. However, I am starting to get a few emails from india based companies and just got a new one from a phillipines based whatever service. Obviously nobody likes spam or junk mail so is there a stronger approach I can take to dealing with spam blocking? Would I be better off removing my email link completely and using a contact submission form?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes. Or don't hyperlink your address; just write it out as email -at- domain *dot* edu.

3. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

The only way to stop it is to not post it. You can use all the tricks in the world, but nothing will stop someone from looking at it and typing it in from India. You could increase your spam settings on your server. That's what I end up doing. It cuts my spam from a hundred down to say 10 a day.

4. JackT06 macrumors 6502

JackT06

I would just use a contact form. That way its there and ready to use...
    Some people might still want to just do it via email..

The pros with contact forms are they are easy to set up, and then you can make sure you get all the relevant info of the user..

*make sure you add captcha onto the contact form!*

5. phadam thread starter macrumors regular

great! thanks for the advice. will just get a contact form in place of links.