EMAIL STEVE - Lucidlogix chip, use Sandybridge GPU/ Discrete GPU together!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whitedragon101, Jan 1, 2011.

1. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

Lucidlogix have a real time GPU balancing solution that can render scenes in real time using BOTH the integrated sandybridge GPU and an ATI or NVidia GPU. If used in the next gen macbook pro it could make the macbook pro a real gaming machine.
    One little chip on the motherboard could change everything.

Everyone email Steve Jobs. Seriously this could be awesome, Alienware performance on a thin Macbook Pro. Make noise bang the internet drum, he may listen.

http://hothardware.com/News/LucidLogix-MultiGPU-Tech-Virtu-Comes-To-Intel-Sandy-Bridge-Platform/
    http://www.lucidlogix.com/

Many thanks

John

2. samk8000 macrumors regular

samk8000

I really don't know anything about GPUs but sure.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nah, I'm sure the handful of emails he'd get (and yes it would be a handful) would go into his spam folder.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yo Steve:

Happy New Year, bro. My buddy from MacRumors, whitedragon101, wants a Lucidlogix have a real time GPU balancing solution that can render scenes in real time using BOTH the integrated sandybridge GPU and an ATI or NVidia GPU. Make it happen, Steve.

Fondly,

rdowns

5. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

im totally on it cuz i know of Steve Jobs' long, well-documented history of always listening to the customer and building the machines that they request.

6. amarcus macrumors 6502

Sorry to break the bad news guys but this can never happen - theres no point spamming steves mailbox!

Rendering a scene using both the integrated and discrete gpus will serve little benefit. The amount of overhead will propbably be equivalent to the benefit gained by the weaker (integrated) gpu. So you end up wasting a lot of power /battery life for a negligible improvement in performance.

However using both gpus for computations (i.e. openCL) is useful and already implemented in snow leopard. Unfortunately developers have yet to make use of this in any immpressie way. Im guessing this is due to the difficulty of utilising such an configuration.

Adam

7. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If this was a "wouldn't it be a good idea if this was so" post then I would agree but this is about a commercial product that exists and they are claiming equal performance boost to SLI or crossfire.

This is usually true but I do not think they would have got to the stage of rolling out a commercial product if they knew it was going to be a 1% improvement. Even if it gives a +10% boost that is very significant.

Although I do admit it is probably a forlorn hope that Steve will ever read these emails.

8. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Also... Decisions on what is going to be used the next year were made long ago...

9. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Why not make the MacBook Pro 3-inches thick and put a desktop GPU in there? That'll show INTEL!!!! :rolleyes:

10. amarcus macrumors 6502

Lucid Logix have a pretty abysmal track record for delivering on their claims (look up their Hydra Engine...).

Assuming thats even possible (which I doubt), I guess thats where we disagree. I'd never sacrifice a substantial amount of battery life and suffer with increases in heat/noise for a meagre 10% performance benefit.

Adam

11. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I shall cross my fingers for the next holy grail then.

Maybe lightpeak will allow enough bandwidth for external graphics cards. (Yes I know its still only 10gbps but maybe there will be some cunning compression stuff to close the gap. I shall pray to the Gods of laptop gaming)

12. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

Um I feel like you are 12 years old. Why dont you go build a desktop for gaming. Steve Jobs will never use external graphics. Theres a reason why theres a Mac and a Macbook