email trash in 'on my mac' trash folder???

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by fisherking, Dec 2, 2015.

  1. fisherking macrumors 601

    fisherking

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2010
    Location:
    ny somewhere
    #1
    anyone understand this? i have one active email address (not apple or gmail), and 90% of my email trash goes in that Trash folder; the other 10% winds in an 'on my mac' trash folder.

    just trying to understand why it doesn't all go in the same place. anyone?
     
  2. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

    dianeoforegon

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2011
    Location:
    Oregon
    #2
    Is your account IMAP? If yes, when you delete a message that is stored under the "On My Mac" folders (local), the message goes to the local trash.
     
  3. Weaselboy Moderator

    Weaselboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Location:
    California
    #3
    It sounds like maybe you made a local folder (On my Mac) at some point. So anything deleted from that folder would go to the On my Mac trash section. Then anything deleted from the other (sounds like they are IMAP) folders would go straight to the regular trash.

    You can see here what I mean. If I make a new folder On my Mac... anything deleted from there would go to On my Mac in trash.

    Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at 2.37.36 PM.png
     
  4. mikzn macrumors 6502

    mikzn

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2013
    Location:
    Vancouver
    #4
    just to add the the above . . .

    check your preferences < accounts < mailbox Behaviors < trash

    see what trash preferences are selected ( server or local ?)

    Pretty much the same in outlook if that is the email client

    If you have just one email account - it should always go the same location unless there is a spam setting or some other setting sending some mail to a different folder?
     
  5. fisherking thread starter macrumors 601

    fisherking

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2010
    Location:
    ny somewhere
    #5
    pop account, but...maybe i'm deleting sometimes from folders i've made ON my mac, makes sense. will investigate further (now that i have more info). thanx peeps!
     
  6. mikzn macrumors 6502

    mikzn

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2013
    Location:
    Vancouver
    #6
    yeah - I think we all assumed IMAP

    POP settings will be different - anything you wish to keep will be stored locally.
     
  7. fisherking thread starter macrumors 601

    fisherking

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2010
    Location:
    ny somewhere
    #7
    no, i know my saved email is locally stored. just didn't understand why there's 2 trashes; 1 with the account name, 1 that's called 'on my mac'. but i suspect that, when i delete email from a saved folder, it goes to the on my mac trash, and email deleted from the inbox goes to the account-name folder (and this is just speculation at the moment)...
     

Share This Page