Email when an Excel sheet is opened

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by erolbs, May 4, 2017.

1. erolbs macrumors newbie

Hi, has anyone discovered the ability to email out when an Excel spreadsheet is opened on a Mac with Office, the preference would be that the user is unaware.

Cheers

Erolbs

2. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

I suspect that would be considered a security issue, so I doubt it'd be supported/allowed.

I've not tried it myself, but if you're trying to track usage/views then you might have more luck using something like Google Sheets and Analytics as discussed here: https://www.labnol.org/internet/track-google-spreadsheets/29107/

Like I say, I've not tried it. Give it a go and see how you get on!

3. rpmurray macrumors member

Would this be a spreadsheet on your own computer that you want to know if someone opened it while you were away from the machine, or do you mean malware you want to send to someone else?

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Malware was what came to my mind, also!

If there's a way to load an image from the web (like in HTML email) in the spreadsheet then there's a way to know that it has been opened.

5. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

erolbs: Can you give us the background to this one? I don't think sending an email is likely to be possible, but depending on exactly what you're trying to achieve, there may be other routes. If we new a bit more, we may be able to suggest something.