Email with DHL Tracking Number - virus?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by c073186, Sep 9, 2009.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I just got this email:

Subject: DHL Tracking Number B670BS9K

Body: Hello!

Unfortunately we were not able to deliver the package you have sent on the 3rd of June in time
    because the addressee's address is not correct.
    Please print out the invoice copy attached and collect the package at our office.

Your DHL Delivery Services.

There was a .txt file attached. Stupidly, I opened it. There was no text inside. I did a Google search and it said that it contains Malware. Does anyone know if this affects Mac OS users? Should I go back in time (using my Time Machine).... or am I okay?

2. oculus42 macrumors 6502

No, you are fine. The message is intended to have a .zip file attached, which contains a Windows executable that is a Trojan Horse.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

With Mac, you're 100% safe because you did not install anything. With PC, it you would have gotten a virus likely

4. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Strangely though, I just went into Time Machine for the heck of it and... as soon as I'm in there, I can't do anything. I can't go back or anything. It's just froze. I have to do command-Esc to get out. I've restarted and same thing. Why might that be? Or what could I do to fix that?

Edit: Actually... just curious... how can I completely restore my system from Time Machine? Unless I choose a specific file... the restore is grayed out...?