Resolved email

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chattahoochee, Feb 10, 2013.

1. chattahoochee, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

chattahoochee macrumors 6502

I have not yet been able to send email after trying several different methods. Now, I want to delete my mailbox and start over. How do I delete the mailbox ?

2. simsaladimbamba

You go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts, select the account you want to delete and press the MINUS button on the bottom of that Preferences window.

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

3. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

Now I have canceled my mailbox account, I am having trouble recreating an account. All the pop ups will not take any info. Somewhere in the system I must still have an account.

4. simsaladimbamba

It depends what kind of account you want to setup. Maybe provide more details (not your actual email address, but the email address provider) and what settings you want to choose.

5. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

6. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

My provider is Time Warner (Brighthouse) I would like an account like "Outlet Express".

7. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Hi I have found a Time Warner support article, that hopefully will help you.

8. chattahoochee, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried the Time Warner "Support Article" as purposed. Cannot "Send", receive OK. Notice pop up when trying to send:

The server “smtp-server.tampabay.rr.com” refused to allow a connection on the default ports.

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent.

Sending from: Lewis Knudsen

9. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Ok , looks like this is a common problem with Time Warner email setup. We need to change the outgoing port settings.

From the Mail menu choose Mail >Preferences

Click the accounts tab

Make sure you Time Warner account is selected in the left panel. Then make sure the Account Information Tab is selected. Click the Outgoing Mail Server(SMTP): dropdown box and select Edit SMTP Server List...

Make sure the Time Warner smtp server is selected in the top panel, the click the Advanced tab 1/2 way down the dialog box.

Click the radio button for Use custom port and enter the value 25.

Make sure use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) radio button is off

Make sure Authentication dropdown is set to None.

Now click Ok, close the accounts dialog box and hit Save when it asks you.

Hopefully that will fix your problem.

Also I suggest you remove your email address above as it may well get farmed by a web bot.

10. simsaladimbamba

What happens if you select a different outgoing email server? Can you select a different outgoing email server?

PS: Better not post your email address online in a forum like this, robots might pick up on this and it is not important for the troubleshooting. To remove your email address from your previous posts, click the [​IMG] button and delete it. And what about the thread title?

11. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I removed my email address. I followed the instructions as per the "Common Problems with Time Warner email Setup" same results, no send. I'm open to any suggestions, so if anyone has any please send. I am of great appreciation for the advice so far, somewhere, somehow, we will succeed !

12. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

I need to make a correction, my provider is not "Time Warner", it is "Bright House Networks". As I commented earlier, I can Send & Receive on "Windows Explorer", using this same MacBook duel booting. So, I cant believe there is anything haywire with the computer. Somewhere in the setup is a problem. I am using the "Mail Icon (Postage Stamp)" on the Dock.

13. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

Looking up "Bright House, It supports "Mac Mail 10.3 and Above". The best I can find on this Mac is Version 4.6 (1085) whatever this means. I am going to try and upgrade the version, wish me luck.

14. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Yep they have a support page, which I think you have found already - that should give you the instructions you need to set up your mail.

Good Luck!

15. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

Following is the info from "AirPort":

Type: AirPort
    Hardware: AirPort
    BSD Device Name: en1
    IPv4 Addresses: 192.168.1.100
    IPv4:
    Addresses: 192.168.1.100
    Configuration Method: DHCP
    Interface Name: en1
    Network Signature: IPv4.Router=192.168.1.1;IPv4.RouterHardwareAddress=68:7f:74:13:16:e5
    Router: 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Masks: 255.255.255.0
    IPv6:
    Configuration Method: Automatic
    DNS:
    Domain Name: tampabay.rr.com
    Server Addresses: 65.32.5.111, 65.32.5.112
    DHCP Server Responses:
    Domain Name: tampabay.rr.com
    Domain Name Servers: 65.32.5.111,65.32.5.112
    Lease Duration (seconds): 0
    DHCP Message Type: 0x05
    Routers: 192.168.1.1
    Server Identifier: 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Ethernet:
    MAC Address: 00:1d:4f:f9:c9:56
    Media Options:
    Media Subtype: Auto Select
    Proxies:
    Exceptions List: *.local, 169.254/16
    FTP Passive Mode: Yes
    Service Order: 3

16. simsaladimbamba

That info should be irrelevant to your mail problem, as the info laid out there is for the actual internet connection.

Have you tried the Support page you have got linked to yet? Can you ask for support from your email provider?