email

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by skd, May 6, 2007.

1. skd macrumors 6502

I'm on a business trip at a hotel, using there wireless......
    I'm unable to send emails from apple mail, though if I go to yahoo I can send emails....
    this is the message I'm getting

"This message could not be delivered and will remain in your Outbox until it can be delivered.

The SMTP server "smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com" doesn't support authentication. Please check your account settings and try again."

I checked the settings and nothing has changed.......
    Will my apple email be able to send emails when I get back home or is there something I need to do now?

2. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I would guess that since you are using another network that you cannot authenticate your outgoing mail server (otherwise you'd need to know the settings/password to use the outgoing mail server for the network you are on). I have the same problems when i travel, but i connect using a VPN and i can shoot off my emails from anywhere. Otherwise, once you get home and are connected to your isp it will work normally again.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Which settings did you check? From Mail Help:
    That's the one that gives me the least amount of issues typically. So try setting your server port to 587.

Mail> Preferences> Accounts tab> select your Yahoo account (left hand side)

Click on "Sever settings..." at the very bottom, and try 587 there.

That said, your emails should send w/out a problem if you get connecte to a different network or whatnot.

4. skd thread starter macrumors 6502

changing the setting to 587.......
    thanks
    BTW - what's VPN?

5. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

VPN: virtual private network. I assumed that you were trying to send an email using your business email where you'd need to authenticate on their outgoing mail server, and connecting over VPN allows you to do that. That wouldn't apply for webmail though (Yahoo etc.).