Emailing 32MB AVI file

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mat25, Mar 24, 2009.

1. mat25 macrumors regular

mat25

Hey, I am having difficulty emailing a 32.8 MB AVI file. When ever I compress it, it doesn't change in size, and it is somehow is over the 34MB emailing limit.:confused:
    Any help would be appreciated :)
    thanks

2. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

32.8MB via email? Are you crazy? That's more than most average users are allowed as file attachments. Whether you can send it out or not, chances are not many people will be able to receive it.

I'd recommend using one of the free web storage sites. I use box.net and get 1GB for free. You can put it up there, share it and email the share link to someone. They can then download it to their computer. No need to clog up mail servers/boxes with the massive file.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Compressing it usually doesn't work because it's already compressed inside the AVI file. You might make it slightly smaller occasionally with a very aggressive compressor, but don't count on much.

I think it's larger than the limit because of the way files are transferred by e-mail. Whenever files are transferred by e-mail, they're converted into text characters (encoding, e.g. MIME). This increases their file size by about 30-50%. If I understand what you're seeing correctly, this is true of all e-mail based file transfers.

The easiest thing is to use some kind of file drop-box site... rapidshare, dropbox, etc ... instead of sending it via e-mail.

4. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

you could host it on SkyDrive, under... get ready for it... Windows Live

25GB free - and a max upload limit of 50MB per file. seems like it'd work effortlessly

5. mat25 thread starter macrumors regular

mat25

Thanks for all the help I exported it in iMovie and it came out a lot smaller, so it should do the trick. The only thing I'm concerned about is that the reciever can open it as it a .m4v file.