Emailing documents to a pc

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by captain-rossco, May 19, 2009.

1. captain-rossco macrumors member

Evening folks,

Here's the situation....

I've been sent a word document that i need to fill in and return via email (to a pc user) using my hotmail, is this going to be possible.?
    I tried writing a few basic documents in pages and neo office and sending them to my pc but they would not open. Have i missed something out?
    The only alternative i see is using my Apple Mail Application and converting the file. The downside being that whilst my hotmail works perfectly as a stand alone, when syncing it with my Apple Mail I loose all of my sent items and folders.

All help hugely appreciated as I'l be desperate to get things up and running for tomorrow.

Regards
    CR

Thanks for the help so far!!

2. wngraham macrumors regular

I don't think your choice of email clients has anything to with the problem. What format are you saving the document in? You mentioned NeoOffice, are you saving in .odf or .doc format?

Any email (both desktop and web-based) should be able to send and receive documents just fine.

3. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

Is the word document being saved in a .doc file or a .docx file?

...I know .docx means you are using one of newer versions of Microsoft Office...I believe .docx was introduced with Office 2008, but you can always save it to a .doc file.

CrackBookPro:cool:

4. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Save it as either a pdf or doc. Most people can't open docx unless they have Office 08, which few have.

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Really? I didn't know that. Glad I stayed with Office 2004.

6. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

As a college student, emailing a professor a .docx format paper could mean making your own death wish.

7. captain-rossco thread starter macrumors member

Once again, the enlightened have saved the day.

From the moment i walked into my Apple store, right up to the help on this forum my conversion experience has been absolutely tip-top!

Thanks again.

CR