emailing short video clips ?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by deer whisperer, Jul 24, 2012.

1. deer whisperer macrumors newbie

I'm old so please take that into account . I've got a Canon 7D thats capable of shooting video and an I-mac computer with iMovie HD this is the snow leopard version .

I'd like to be able to send via email short video clips , so far none of my bright ideas have worked ( zip file , compressed versions , )

Thanks in advance for your time and patients

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

What exactly went wrong when you tried these?

3. deer whisperer thread starter macrumors newbie

The emails timed out , I think the file size was to large for my server ? under a min. of video is what I was attempting to send .

4. WestSt macrumors member

Command-click the file view the file info. It should show file type and size. What does it say?

5. deer whisperer thread starter macrumors newbie

it shows a ( MVI 61.8MB MOV ) I hope that this is the info needed ?

6. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

You need to further compress your video so that it is under 10 megabytes for email, sometimes even under 5 megabytes.

It would probably be simpler for you to use a service like wetransfer.com or yousendit.com and share the link via email.

Also, you mispelled Thoreau in your quote.

7. WestSt macrumors member

As initialsBB states, you need to compress to reduce file size. This can be very technical, and apps ranging from $0 to several hundred are available online. Either way, keep in mind that compressing will more or less degrade quality, whether you are an expert with a pro app, or a novice with a free app. Basically because to reduce file size, you need to reduce bitrate, resolution, etc.

However, from what I understand, you want to do this as simple and easy as possible, with the tools already available. I´m assuming you have Itunes? As its a .MOV file, Itunes should accept it.

Open Itunes (update if necessary) -> create "New Playlist" -> Drag and drop your video in to the new playlist -> select the videos in the playlist -> go to "Advanced" and "Make iPad or Apple-TV version" -> let it work its magic...

After the plonk sound, go to your video library. Both the original video and transcoded version should show up. Command-click and show info - the transcoded version should have been reduced by tenfolds in file size. Command-click the transcoded version and show in Finder -> attach to e-mail.

If the file size still is to large, repeat the steps, only choose "Make iPod or iPhone version".

Either way, this process will reduce resolution and bitrate (both video and audio), as well as re-encode to Mpeg-4 with AAC audio. The iPod/iPhone version even more then iPad/Apple-TV version. However, most players should accept this format, so your audience should be able to view the video, also full screen.

8. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

OP, you didn't say what the purpose of emailing those videos is. If it's casual -- for people to look at, not work on -- then you might consider a service like Vimeo.

Earlier this year I had people asking me to string together some clips so they could see them -- rough editing, really, but some of what I needed to show was 20 and 30 minutes long, and in one case more than an hour. Some SD, some HD.

After editing, I used Compressor with Vimeo's specs (not the built-in preset, but what Vimeo recommends on its site), and then uploaded the videos.

Importantly, a Vimeo video can be private and password-protected and you can forbid (or allow) downloading.

After the upload completed, I emailed my viewers the link and the password.

Done. Everybody was happy, not least because the people who needed to view this stuff didn't particularly want 1 GB+ videos on their computers. They just wanted to be able to look at it.

Probably youtube has a similar setup, but I only know about Vimeo's.

9. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

monokakata

Great idea using the Vimeo platform. I would recommend this action to the OP instead of trying to email file attachments.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

YouSendIt is another option. It basically gives the OP what he wants except instead of an attachement to the email the email contains a link to the file.

11. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

Instead of sending it, how about sharing it out through a dropbox account. You can control who has access, and delete published links.

12. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Use Dropsend to send the file. Just visit dropsend.com