Emailing/Switching between multiple accounts on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oscuh, Dec 10, 2007.

1. oscuh macrumors 6502

My boss just got a new iPhone and she's having some difficulties with it. Since I'm the de facto tech weenie around here, she's brought it to me for help.

She wants to be able to send e-mail from her work e-mail address off her phone. Problem is, if she's at home, she seems to have to switch her outgoing info to her at-home ISPs info. When she's here at work, she has to then switch it back to our info here. Clearly this is a pain.

So, being the genius I am, I set up the phone with an account for her home and a second for while she's here. I set it up so the Work info was her default and tried to e-mail myself a photo from her iPhone. I get an error stating that her e-mail address is unrecognizable and that the message would be saved to her Outbox.

What gives???

So I check, and sure enough, it tried to send the e-mail from her "home" account, even though her "work" account was set as the default.

Now, the ONLY difference between the accounts is the outgoing mail server info.

How do I fix this??? Until I figure it out, she's going to be asking why it doesn't work...

2. gazzzmoly macrumors regular

what are you server settings in the iphone

ie port number

username is sometime full address or just the first part

does your server require authenticaton ?

3. oscuh thread starter macrumors 6502

Server requires password authentication for the "work" outgoing mail server.

Her home outgoing doesn't seem to require it.

Authentication is done via password from what I can tell.

I don't have the phone in front of me so I can't give all the settings right now

4. gazzzmoly macrumors regular

is is set to pop or imap iphone doesn't support exchange at this time (well not without a special plug in for the server)

5. oscuh thread starter macrumors 6502

pop/imap/exchange? :confused:

I know enough to be dangerous, so what should it be set to?

6. memesmith macrumors regular

Let's be clear here. You say the problem is sending emails, so POP and IMAP are irrelevant. They are for recieving emails. If the matter is simply that she wants emails from her iPhone to look as if they come from her work account, then be reassured that she can set her work email as the return address for whatever account allows her to send succesfully.

Next many domestic broadband accounts don't offer authenticated SMTP access. This means the SMTP server only accepts emails commling directly from her home IP address, if it were autheticated with a password it would accept emails sent from anywhere on the Internet.

So first she should check with her home provider that they don't offer an upgrade or option to password authenticated SMTP. If they did, you could just set that asvthe default server.

Ditto with the work email. But corporate email systems are often complicated by using MS Exchange email servers, which are currently generally incompatible with iPhone.

So if your can't get authenticated SMTP from either source, you could consider setting up a googlemail account for her, just for sending emails from her iPhone. This does offer authenticated SMTP which would allow her to send emails from anywhere. Of course emails sent via that server wouln't appear on her work or home sent boxes, but she could access her google sent box via the web and set her home email client to do the same.