emailing video - use iPhoto or iMovie and how?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by challiman, Oct 21, 2009.

1. challiman macrumors member

I have a lot of photos and a few videos on iPhoto and Mobile Me. If I send the videos using iPhoto to Face Book they work fine, but not if I just send out the link (tell a friend), the videos don't play. They get a prompt that says install quicktime, but then it still doesn't work.
    I did an online chat with support and the first person told me to use iMovie and how to do that. Something happened and another support person came on and said the other one was having technical trouble and then gave me an entirely different way to share video, through establishing a public site. Neither of these work.
    So, question one is, is the problem with sending video through iPhoto that the file is not compatible with other computers?
    Question two is, should I be sending the video through iMovie?
    Finally, what do you suggest I do to solve this problem.
    Thanks for any help.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Use iPhoto. No point in running it through iMovie after the fact, that's just redundant.

If you tried to send me a huge video file by email, I'd never talk to you again. It has a tendency to clog up the tubes. Instead, I'd suggest using Dropbox's public folder and sending a link to the file.

3. challiman thread starter macrumors member

I don't send the file, I send a LINK to the photo/video, but the videos don't play. They just show up as a sort of fuzzy photo.

Meanwhile, I have managed to get this done, but only through iMovie. The trick is apparently I have to publish it, but I tried so many different things that I'm now not positive which one worked. But, at least I got it once and will get it again.

The movies have not worked when I sent them through iPhoto. I sent them to 5 people, all with PC's, and none of them worked until I used iMovie. And even when I sent them to myself and tried to open them with my MacBook Pro I got a big Q with a question mark and it didn't open.

My biggest complaint is that when I loaded into iPhoto I got no alert that the videos would not play using that program. Made for a lot of frustrated recipients.

By the way, it was a video from a still camera, low res and less than a minute.