Emails migrated from Gmail to iCloud showing wrong received date

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Emiljabo, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Emiljabo macrumors member

Hi,

I recently migrated 20,000'ish emails from Gmail to iCloud.

I completed the migration over the last few days.

The oldest emails being from way back in 2012 which I need to keep for business purposes.

However, all of the 20,000'ish migrated emails in my iCloud now show a received date which is the day that I migrated them (last few days) and not the actual date they were originally sent.

Obviously, I need the emails to be listed in the order they were originally received.

Does anyone know why this might be happening and how to solve this issue?

Thanks!

2. Emiljabo thread starter macrumors member

So, I just got off the phone with Apple support and in fairness this is an expected behaviour. Essentially, moving old emails from one server to a new server would be seen by the new server as receiving new emails so they would have the date received as the date they moved to the new server.

However, this creates a fundamental problem with regards to emails when one of the most important pieces of information which needs to be retained during a migration is the date the email was originally received prior to the migration taking place.

This is a problem which could be solved quite easily if you were able to choose to sort the emails in Mac Mail by the date they were sent by the sender. Which is information which should be recorded in each individual email's code.

Currently there is no solution to this problem according to Apple other than to send feedback to suggest the development of a "sort by date/time sent" in the Mac Mail app.

A very frustrating situation. I was looking forward to removing myself from the Google ecosystem and having everything handled by Apple/iCloud, but it's all just been one big time consuming headache.

3. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

4. Emiljabo thread starter macrumors member

I set up both my Gmail and iCloud mailboxes in Mail. Then I selected approximately 100 emails at a time in the Gmail mailbox, then right-clicked them and chose "Move to" and selected the iCloud mailbox. It took about 3 days to move 20,000 emails because moving them all at once was causing hang-ups etc.

5. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

I went through the same experience recently. Majority of my emails were fine. I have about 8gb worth of emails that i transferred from Gmail to iCloud. For me, it was only 1 specific folder that had issues and it seemed to be an issue when i copied over so much at the same time, not in small bunches. Unfortunately, there's no real fix like you said. It sucks that all of your's ended up that way and mine were just 1 specific folder.

6. Emiljabo thread starter macrumors member

I'm glad most of yours were ok which leads me to wonder why some of your emails kept their original dates and mine did not?

I had seven folders on Gmail 6 had reasonably few emails in them with the vast majority of the 20,000 being in one single business related folder. However, all emails in all seven folders lost their original received dates.

7. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

yeah that's no good man. i think what happened with mine, is majority of the time i just took what's in the folder and copied some over and left it. then after a little bit i'd do another folder. at one point i got really annoyed of it taking forever that i just copied over the remaining folders and that's where i think too much was trying to copy over at once. I just remember the folder with the messed up date was the last one i tried copying over.