emails names dos and donts

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Trance, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Trance macrumors 6502

is it a bad idea to have your date of birth in your email?
    for example my email is similar to this x88@ is emails like this not ideal for future reference since it has my age in it?

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

3. rican macrumors 6502

rican

I have 4 different emails:

1. Not professional, for spam, friends, facebook, b.s., sign ups.
    2. grad school email - for school communication
    3. Professional email - for job inquires, professional emails between colleagues, and college friends.
    4. work email - strictly work.

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

It depends. Are you using it for jobs and/or the professional world?

For that, I'd stick with a combination of first name/last name/initials.

Plus, remember, next year your email will not be accurate since you'll get older. Unless you mean your birthyear..

I'd only use something like that for casual website/forum sign up, etc.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have a 13 character psedu-random generated address @gmail.com with maximum entropy.

I've had it for more than 2 years now and haven't had one single piece of spam hit my inbox or spam folder.

I used to use my first two initials and last name and my inbox and spam folder would get a bunch of spam.

I don't think having your DOB in your address is too bad except for people who are bent on stealing your identity. This way just makes it that much easier to go to work on you.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would recommend you leave out your birth year out of your email address. Heck leave out anything that can point to or about your age in professional email address.
    Like it or not their is age discrimination in hiring. They see that and may think you are to old or young for the job and toss you out from the get go.

My primary email address first.M.last@gmail.com.
    Simple and professional looking plus it ages very well.

7. ender land macrumors 6502a

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Huh? I don't understand that part.

Are you saying that if you're the first person to register the email address under that name, you can use it? :confused:

Can't you only use the email address if you register it as the first person?

9. ender land macrumors 6502a

if you have firstlast@gmail.com, any mail that gets sent to first.last@gmail.com also gets sent to you. Or first.....last@gmail.com. Periods do not affect the recipient address, however, if you register first.last you do have to log in using first.last as the login name

10. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

I just use my social security number. Easy to remember, and no one else has it. A date of birth at the end and your mother's maiden name would make it even more unique.