Emails not deleted on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rpearlberg, Oct 1, 2013.

1. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

If I delete an email on my computer in Outlook it is still showing on my phone as an unread message...

This just started in the last few days.

What do I need to do to have them "sync"?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

more details needed...

iOS version. Email provider. Method of connecting to email (POP/IMAP/ActiveSync).

Did it used to work? Seems what you said. What changes have you made around the time it quit working?

3. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry.

iOS7
    Outlook for Mac 2011

I use the mail feature on the iPhone.

I don't think I made any changes, I upgraded to iOS7 when it came out, but just noticed this in the couple of days.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

5. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

it's an exchange server from work

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Activesync should keep things in sync then.

Are you seeing the email on the lockscreen as a notification? Seems that takes a little longer to update, but the mail app should work fine. On iOS7 (as with previous versions) I often see new email on my phone before it hits Outlook, and deletes from either flow through pretty quickly, never longer than a moment or two.

I'd suggest trying to delete your email profile on your phone and recreate it. If the problem persists, engage your work's tech support.

7. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I don't have the notifications set up, but the mail icon shows unread messages.

I'll delete my account and start fresh.

Thanks

8. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I'm an Exchange Admin and yeah, this has been a thorn in my side both personally and professionally.

Not sure what's causing it, never had complaints from iOS 6 users, but with iOS 7, having this issue.

Here's a couple steps I did to identify when the issue is happening:

- User is setup in a purely Exchange environment.
    - Exchange Server 2013 w\ Update 2 applied.

- User gets email notification on iPhone first, desktop second (odd, but the way it seems to work).

- If the user opens the email on their desktop, it's marked read on their desktop\server, but not on their iPhone.

- If the user deletes the email on their desktop, it's deleted on the desktop\server, however remains on the phone until they unlock their phone and open the email app.

- Same issues persist when I setup a user as IMAP.

EDIT: Furthermore, on a personal experience note, iOS 7 seems to have a bothersome glitch with mail in general where the badge doesn't go away even when a message is opened and closed in the mail app, clearly marked as read in the app, but the badge still persists until the email is opened a second or third time, or until the Mail app is killed and reopened and the message re-read.

Troubleshooting steps I've gone through:

- Completely deleted and purged user Exchange account, and issue persists

- Had user turn off auto-lock and leave their phone on, and issue persists

- Had user try deleting email in OWA and issue persists

Not sure what more can be done at this point. My observation is that the issue is Apple's Mail app isn't communicating in the background. Maybe it has to do with iOS 7 managing what apps can do in the background, but Mail certainly shouldn't be limited, especially since it's on an Exchange Server, and in my opinion, email is the most important communication to the device.

If anyone else has found anything that might point to isolation of the issue or a possible work-around, please let me know. I've submitted the issue to both Apple and MS, but experience tells me they don't react quickly, so this may be an issue we have to live with for a while.

9. Blackforge, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

Blackforge macrumors 6502

I'm an Exchange admin as well, but not seeing your issues. However, we are on Exchange 2010, so it wouldn't surprise me if most of what you're seeing is 2013 specific.

You're seeing email notifications on the phone usually first because of how Exchange triggers email notifications for Push. ActiveSync comes first in the flow, then mail client.

I read an email and within a minute or two it disappears off my lock screen. Same for deletes, etc. This is in Outlook 2013 & OWA.

You may also want to turn up ActiveSync Event logging to see if your ActiveSync heartbeats are timing out which can cause various issues. These timeouts can cause various sync issues like you're seeing and delay changes until the phone auto retries or client is run manually. You may have to double check connection timeouts on your firewall to your CAS role server(s) or ISA/TMG or load balancer (or various combinations). Timeouts to ActiveSync are recommended to be at least 15 minutes.

Read how push works in 2013 and adjust above advice accordingly: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997252(v=exchg.150).aspx

10. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Yeah I've been through those steps already, even had a call with MS Support and they basically blamed Apple. Apple blames MS of course, as always, until Apple identifies and corrects the issue like normal, then they don't point fingers.

I talked to a buddy of mine who recently upgraded his enterprise to 2013 and he's reporting the same thing. So looks like something Apple changed between iOS 6 and 7 isn't playing nice with the MS Exchange Server....