emails on iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by inept1, May 25, 2011.

1. inept1 macrumors newbie

I was cleaning out my iphone and deleted unread emails. I deleted them from the trash as well. I went into mail and those unread emails are not on my computer and not on my webmail as I think it deleted the emails from my webmail when I deleted them this morning. Is there a way to see the mail that is still on your server in your mac? I saw a video demonstrating a feature that showed an area in your mac that show you messages still on your server. I have it set so that mail is deleted from the server after a week. Can someone help me recover these emails or point me somewhere to find them??

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Deleted messages from the server are generally gone, unless you can convince your e-mail provider to send you the latest image they took of your account data.

3. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

It sounds like you are using imap for your email. imap is used for a variety of reasons but for your purposes it is to keep everything in sync. A simplified explanation is this: Your emails are stored on the server, you can view them from either your iphone or your mac. Anything you do to those emails on say your iphone (delete, move, etc) will be reflected on your mac and vice versa. It basically keeps everything in sync.

If you delete them they will be deleted immediately. The option you are referring to about delete after one week is if you simply move them from the trash and leave them there... they will be deleted after a week. If you manually delete them from the trash then they are gone immediately.

Unfortunately those emails are probably gone forever unless you can get a backup.

4. inept1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all the suggestions. Unfortunately, I think you are right in that my emails are gone. I called the administrator and they have said that the emails are gone off the server. It's a pop account and those emails are definitely gone. I've asked everyone to resend - those that I saw. I guess if they really need something they will resend! I did find iPhoneBackupExtractor, but CANNOT get this to work. I am not a linux guru and can't get this exe file to work using mono or anything else. Any suggestions on how to get this to work?

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Mono is only for visual basic apps, rather than any old exe. Wine would probably work, or you could install XP or 7 in a VM.