Emails sent from wrong account

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by HstephenG, Jan 2, 2012.

1. HstephenG macrumors newbie

I have a number of email accounts set up in Mail (running OS X 10.7.2). A couple of months ago out of the blue I have noticed that I have written emails from my personal account and yet it has come through to the recipients from my work email.
    When I check my sent folder, it says it was sent from the correct account, but it seems to have been mixed up somewhere.

Has anyone come across this? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What are you even asking? It does not matter what address one sends an e-mail from, it can go to any recipient. You must have added your work colleagues in the To: field, which is why they received the e-mail.

3. HstephenG thread starter macrumors newbie

Obviously I was not clear. Yes I know you can send an email to any recipient from any account.

To illustrate the problem:
    I wrote and sent an email from Account-A to someone, but Mail (for some reason) sent it out from another of my accounts, say Account-B, which was not my aim.

This is a strange problem and confuses my contacts because many have started receiving emails that are from me but from an unfamiliar account (say my work account instead of my personal account).

Cheers

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

When you send make sure that the from account box has the correct account information in it. It sometimes just defaults to the last account used, so I have found that if I used the reply to arrow, that the from account would change from my personal account to my work account. It could also have come from if you have several SMTP servers and one is not functioning that it will fail-safe to the next SMTP server and the account info has been changed (I did see this once myself).

5. HstephenG thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that is exactly what it was - I think the SMTP server was not working correctly as you suggested.
    Thanks!