Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmchicago

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
Hi- I'm not sure when this change happened, but i now notice that in all the emails I receive, mine is listed first in a group of recipients. This is an iOS thing because when i log into gmail or outlook it shows the order of email addresses as the sender ordered them. Does anyone know how to change this back?
Does anyone know what I'm talking about? A minor annoyance..
any help would be appreciated!

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Maybe your address is showing first because that's your copy of the email. Perhaps the recipient's address is shown first as a courtesy to the reader.

Is there a problem with appearing first on your list or do you just not like it?

Can't think how you'd change the behavior.

jmchicago

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
this is definitely something that's new, maybe with 7.1 (?) and has been a minor annoyance

i prefer to have the recipients in the order that the sender placed it.. i'm reading my email, i know i'm a recipient already and don't need to be listed at the top of every email!

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Doesn't do that for me. I'm on iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1.1 and I see emails sent to me where I'm not the first listed recipient. You sure you're not actually the first in the list lol?

jmchicago

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
haha yes i checked when logging into my email from the web.. it's weird then, why is it happening to me? Would it have something to do with VIP or something? Strange... I only noticed it recently

Doesn't do that for me. I'm on iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1.1 and I see emails sent to me where I'm not the first listed recipient. You sure you're not actually the first in the list lol?

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
haha yes i checked when logging into my email from the web.. it's weird then, why is it happening to me? Would it have something to do with VIP or something? Strange... I only noticed it recently

Ooh my bad. Just had a thought and checked it out. I get email forwarded from gmail to my iCloud, the latter of which I have set up for Mail. The ones I saw where I wasn't first were ones that were actually sent to my gmail. All those addressed to my iCloud put me first. So I think you're probably right! :)

jmchicago

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
but i'm also using a gmail account as well as outlook and exchange, and they all do the same thing..

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
but i'm also using a gmail account as well as outlook and exchange, and they all do the same thing..

Think you misunderstood, I don't have gmail set up in Mail, only iCloud. Gmail forward the email directly to my iCloud, so the recipients are exactly the same. My iCloud address isn't a recipient, only the gmail. So Mail can't detect the address associated with the iCloud account I'm checking in the recipients and thus can't put it at the front.

jmchicago

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
oh i see..

i'm not sure why apple decided to do this, i see no benefit of seeing my name first, i know i'm receiving the email. Would rather see what the sender intended (i.e. if i'm a cc, the primary recipient, etc)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
oh i see..

i'm not sure why apple decided to do this, i see no benefit of seeing my name first, i know i'm receiving the email. Would rather see what the sender intended (i.e. if i'm a cc, the primary recipient, etc)
Even if your name appears as first, wouldn't it still appear in the right section though, as in first in the "To:" section or first in the "Cc:" section, so you would still know if you are part of the primary recipients or not.

Lance97

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2014
I'm having the same issue. It seems to only have happened after the 7.1.1 upgrade. Annoying.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6189124

No answer at this point...

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Do you only see your name or also (part of) your e-mail address?

I was thinking it might have something do to with the unified inbox - making sure you know which of your identities was being contacted. If you only have one e-mail address set up then that wouldn't be very useful of course.

Lance97

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2014
It shows my full name first and it is always the account that I am looking at. For example, if I have 3 email addresses of mine on an email, it shows my name first for the specific account I'm reviewing.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So what is the difference between (or basically impact of) the name appearing first or second or somewhere later? Just trying to understand what this really means.

Lance97

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2014
The impact is not understanding the true thought process behind the way the sender originally intended to send the email. In some organizations, it is telling the order that you are listed in an email. Also, the sender may have the expectation that a response is needed from the first few addresses (granted, they should have used the cc line for the other addresses, but not everyone follows appropriate email etiquette).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The impact is not understanding the true thought process behind the way the sender originally intended to send the email. In some organizations, it is telling the order that you are listed in an email. Also, the sender may have the expectation that a response is needed from the first few addresses (granted, they should have used the cc line for the other addresses, but not everyone follows appropriate email etiquette).
People use email like that? There are plenty of email clients that will reorder things as they are being sent or received, and that can happen during the transmission of the email as well. Pretty sure the only thing that plays a role is if it's in To or CC or something like that, and the order of how things appear there, well, that's most often reading into and/or assigning meaning to something that does't really have any.

jmchicago

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
it shows my name only, not my email.. i do have a unified inbox

Do you only see your name or also (part of) your e-mail address?

I was thinking it might have something do to with the unified inbox - making sure you know which of your identities was being contacted. If you only have one e-mail address set up then that wouldn't be very useful of course.

----------

my thoughts exactly.. frustrating, why can't apple just leave it be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.