Emails that disappear when I click on the "Junk" mailbox

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by crazypeter, Jul 30, 2011.

1. crazypeter macrumors member

I have an Apple email address and occasionally, when I click on the "Junk" mailbox, the number of unread emails contained therein (indicated by the number adjacent to the "Junk" mailbox in the list of mailboxes on the left) reduces by one, ie the mac software appears to delete the email before I can even see who it is from or read the subject. Is this because the email contains a computer nasty, virus etc and the software is deleting it? If that is the case then perhaps I should think about changing my email address.

This started after the company sending out M&S emails was hacked and I now receive a lot more junk :(

I do not normally open spam.

2. IWT macrumors newbie

IWT

Sometimes your email boxes need refreshing or rebuilding.

Try this: click on each Mailbox in turn if you want, or just Junk, as that is the problem one. Now go to Toolbar and Click Mailbox. In the Drop Down menu, select Rebuild.

This should sort out any problems. This works a treat if you ever get emails that simply won't delete and/or appear greyed out.

Ian

3. crazypeter thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but "Rebuild" of the "Junk" mailbox just deleted all the emails in the "Junk" mailbox.

I am not worried about the apparent deleting of the emails, I am mainly interested to know if the deleted emails are likely to contain a computer nasty, virus etc?

I do not experience deleted emails in any other mailboxes.

4. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Check your settings in Mail>Preferences>Accounts>MailBox Behaviors>Junk. Set to never delete. And in Advanced set to never remove messages from server.
    See if this helps.