Emails..

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bulliondesk, Apr 27, 2015.

1. bulliondesk macrumors member

I just learned that the watch does not display full emails.. only a few lines and you cannot respond to an email? This does not make any sense. If you can read a full text and respond using Siri why would Apple not allow the same response with emails? What's the point of the scroll wheel then.. you should be able to scroll down and read an entire email. This is a big bummer.

2. Alith macrumors 6502

If you tap the email notification you see the entire mail and can flag, delete or dismiss.

It's a shame you can't dictate a response though.

3. bulliondesk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Was told by an Apple store employee you couldn't read an entire email. The not being able to respond is awful. Apple needs to fix that.

4. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

No, that's not accurate. A friend of mine sent me several emails that had a huge recipient list, long main text, as well as several pictures. I was able to see all of this on my Apple Watch. Even the pictures. They appeared at the bottom of the email. I think she even sent it from her Samsung phone.

It is true that I could not reply to the email from my watch. I hope in the future we will be able to dictate replies, but for now, you are correct, we can not do that.

5. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

You're missing the point. Don't manage email from your watch. Prioritize emails with your watch, and then manage them on your phone.

6. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Perhaps I just use e-mail very differently than most, but I don't understand the desire for the watch to be an e-mail machine. Other than a notification of a VIP e-mail, I haven't once even thought about screwing with e-mails on the watch.

7. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Well the way they envisioned the concept of this watch, you would still use your other devices for longer tasks like answering emails. The watch is only meant to help you filter out situations for which you don't really want to dig out your phone or laptop and get immersed in answering emails. It's supposed to help you filter out the distractions. They figure if it's something really important, after you glance at it on your watch you'll switch to a more appropriate device.

The watch is meant to be experienced in a glance. It doesn't have the robust battery or the keyboard or size to replace your other devices entirely.

8. bulliondesk thread starter macrumors member

Everyone uses email differently. My emails are short quick responses.. similarly to texts but just within an email to clients, or quick responses to friends who sent links etc.

9. Alith macrumors 6502

This. I'm finding it very helpful to quickly scan an email and delete it. If it's a work email that I know I have to action then I flag it and deal with it when I have time.

10. bulliondesk thread starter macrumors member

They shouldn't take the option of being able to respond away from users. If you don't want to respond and use another device.. great. If you want to respond then we should be able to.

11. cwosigns macrumors 65816

And then people b*tch and moan when it doesn't work the way they want it to? Or Siri misunderstands, and then they have to start over because there's not a way to edit the mistake when you could have taken your phone out and tapped out an accurate message in less time?

Apple's walled garden is a carefully curated to create a good experience. If you want something different, there's always Android.

12. bulliondesk thread starter macrumors member

But then why bother having it for messages? Your point could happen identically with messages as well.

13. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Regardless of how you personally use email, text messages and email are two different animals, especially in the workplace.

• Text messages are inherently shorter messages that often come with an expectation of a quicker response.
    • Email messages are longer. They often outline processes and have attachments. There is less of an expectation of an immediate response.

For those reasons alone, it makes more sense to be able to respond to text messages from a watch, but not be able to respond to emails. You can triage your email from a watch, but based on how most people use email it doesn't make sense to respond to email from a watch.

14. bulliondesk thread starter macrumors member

We use email very differently. I use it sort of like an instant messenger service on Wall St. Quick, simple, short one or two word responses to a bunch of different people on a group email hundreds of times daily. I do also understand most people don't use it this way.. but they should at least give us the option of responding or not. Don't take it away from us that's all.

15. Mr.C macrumors 601

I don't get why people want and expect something like the :apple:Watch to be a 100% replacement for their phone. It's not meant to be. It's an extension of your phone and is supposed to allow you to manage tasks on your phone better. Being able to respond directly to emails on the :apple:Watch makes no sense what so ever.

16. cwosigns macrumors 65816

They didn't take it away. It was never an option. It was never advertised to be an option. If it's a mission critical function for you, why would you buy something that doesn't meet your needs?

17. bulliondesk thread starter macrumors member

But then why even have email on there to look at if you can't respond? This should be an advancement in technology and future ways of response. Defeats the purpose to use ANOTHER device in my opinion IF it is able to display email. It should have a response button. It's that simple.

18. cwosigns macrumors 65816

To triage email. See if it is important and take action:

• Important? Grab your phone and take care of it.
    • Important, but can wait? Mark as unread and deal with it later.
    • Not important at all or just informational only? Read it and delete it.

19. bulliondesk thread starter macrumors member

It meets my needs just not all. It's a hell of a lot easier for me to glance up at my watch tied to my wrist than fumble through my pocket while walking my dog.. having to hold the large phone with one hand and try to type.. looking down.. not paying attention to what in front of me.. all whiling trying not to drop the phone..