Embarrassed Mac User: Mac App Ignorance

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by misterneums, Jul 31, 2011.

1. misterneums macrumors 6502

So... I've been a mac user since 2008... however--I really don't have a wide knowledge of applications for macs. My old Macbook was used mostly as a text editing, internet browsing computer. To do only that on my Macbook Air seems like...cruel and unusual punishment to my shiny new friend.

So what I'm looking for here is... some interesting apps to potentially purchase. I do some photography stuff on the side (nothing professional, but I do have a dSLR.) I'm not a programmer or anything like that--I'm just looking out for some apps that the more dedicated Mac Users here have found to be very beneficial.

I also do apologize if I put this in the wrong forum--it's getting late I can barely keep my eyes open!

Thanks in advance!

2. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

1. BetterTouchTool (Google it)
    2. BetterSnapTool (App store)

Those will save your life.

Literally *serious expression*

3. rmcnelly macrumors regular

I've switched back to the Mac after a few years on a PC laptop. I just started using Aperture as a photo editor. It is inexpensive and very powerful. I may get a book on how to use to speed up my learning curve. There are many plugin packages available for it too.

4. andothfc macrumors regular

Aperture's a nice mid-range package if you like to edit RAW photos. I think iPhoto is enough for most users and provides quicker performance than the rather ponderous Aperture.

As for essential apps, I suggest TextExpander, 1Password and Launchbar.

You can read more on the apps I install on a new Mac at my blog.

5. misterneums thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the ideas. Anymore are appreciated.

6. scarred macrumors 6502a

I like Wunderlist and Evernote. Both sync nicely with my Android phone. The first is a simple todo list. The second is an advanced notepad. Both are free for light use.

7. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

+1 for Evernote.

Once you start really taking notes on everything, you'll did yourself becoming a more organized person. I don't lose track of ANYTHING anymore. I take extensive notes and keep them in their proper notebooks!