Embedded Flash video issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by METOO999, Jul 22, 2007.

1. METOO999 macrumors regular

I'm having trouble viewing embedded Flash video on certain sites. Usually I can just click the blue play button on these, but it hasn't worked in Safari and Firefox for a few weeks now. I updated to the latest Flash, then repaired my permissions and it still doesn't work. I have to double-click and go to the actual site with the video to see it.

You might notice if you look quickly, you can see the blue play button in the video window for a split second before the page finishes loading.

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?p=603307#post603307

I can view Youtube and Google Video fine.

Another issue I noticed is that when I play videos at Gametrailers.com, after playing one, the aspect ratio on the video window goes screwy and it seems to zoom in on the corner of the video.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Can you start with versions of OS X, Safari, and Firefox?

Also perhaps a screenshot of what that site you linked looks like for you?

It plays for me on OS X 10.4.10, Safari 3.0.2, Flash 9.0.45 (I take it you have 9.0.47?)....

3. METOO999 thread starter macrumors regular

Macbook with OS X 10.4.10, Safari 3.0.2, Firefox 2.0.0.5, Flash 9.0.47.

Here is a screenshot. It seems to stick at "Loading..."

Uninstalling and reinstalling Flash didn't work.

Attached Files:

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Odd...does Flash keep a log file somewhere? For what it's worth, it doesn't even seem to try to load the video until it gets to the screen with the blue play button and you click it. So I don't think it's hanging loading the video. It seems to be hanging loading the flash itself.

5. METOO999 thread starter macrumors regular

I think I found the problem, but I don't know how to solve it. There was one error in the Safari Activity window.

"http://mosii.gametrailers.com/crossdomain.xml - can't find host"

Another thing I found in a forum was the Quicktime System Preference has an Enable Flash checkbox, "Enables playback of Adobe Flash tracks." Checking it didn't do anything. I think that might be referring to standalone Flash files or something.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Could it be that it's a domain name server (or router domain name proxy) issue, and all this Flash trail you're following is just misleading you?

It seems the flash video itself is also pulled off this mosil.gametrailers.com host.

7. METOO999 thread starter macrumors regular

Possibly. I will wait awhile and see if it changes over time. Thanks. Perhaps they made a change in their server.

Edit: Works in Firefox on Windows XP SP2 in Boot Camp, so I'm guessing it's a Mac software/network compatibility issue.

My roommate's Macbook is having the same problem, so I'm guessing the recently-purchased router might have something to do with it. There are no blocked sites in the settings.

8. METOO999 thread starter macrumors regular

Hm, I just switched back to my old wired Netgear router and the videos are working now. Any idea on what setting in the wireless router could be causing that?