Embedded Opera Browser

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DOlsson, Sep 4, 2007.

1. DOlsson macrumors member

Lately I've been noticing that I seem to have an embedded version of Opera installed on my mac. It's not even a full version, it has a banner asking to pay for it.

How the hell do I get rid of this thing? Does anyone else know about this?

Thanks,

Dan

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Was your Mac new or used? I`ve never heard of Apple shipping Opera on new Macs.

Whatever, it`s just an application, trash it.

4. DOlsson thread starter macrumors member

I would trash it, but I can't find it anywhere.

Does your mac point to the browser if you click on the finder and click "Mac OS X Software" (I think that was the link - cannot confirm as I'm on a PC)

Even MSN links in a chat window take me to this browser.

If I could find where this association is made I would correct it... Hmm...

(Oh, and this Mac was brand new - Straight from Apple)

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Open Safari and go in its preferences, I think you can set the default browser there (not at a Mac at the moment so I can't check).

6. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I had this same problem a while back - I had a certain file type that somehow changed it's default app to be Opera, yet i've never downloaded or installed Opera. Sure enough , the file would open in Opera. I couldn't find Opera in my Applications folder, so I just switched the default app back to what it was originally.

I still have no idea how this happened in the first place, but I haven't had any problems the past month since it came up, so I guess it's all good.

7. Jonnie macrumors newbie

Mmm thats funny, i just happen to remove Opera here aswell. I have no idea of how it got into my system. I never installed nor has any one else. Weird thing is that it keeps coming back. I kid you not... It seems some other program installs it?

8. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

Have you tried a search in spotlight? If "Opera" comes up it should direct you to all related files.

9. Blubbert macrumors 6502

If i remember correctly, Opera is installed alongside some adobe products. I think the culprit is flash or something.

10. Kalixa macrumors member

Yes I believe that you are correct. I once tried installing a 30-day trial of dreamweaver, and later found out that opera was installed on my system. I beleive (but don't hang me up on this), that I found out that it was located in one of the adobe folders.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

opera has been free of charge for two years..... I guess the stuff in OP' mac is apparently pretty ancient.

12. kostia macrumors regular

If Opera is running does it have a Dock icon? If so just right-click (or ctrl-click if you have a one-button mouse) and select "Show in Finder." That will open the folder containing the application package, and you can delete it from there.

To reset your default browser to the one of your choice, launch it and use its preferences to set that option. Or launch Safari and set your default browser in its preferences (this will be systemwide).

13. DOlsson thread starter macrumors member

Thank you everyone.

I tracked it down and it seems to be a component of Macromedia Dreamweaver 8.

I basically went into my browser of choice and set it as the default. Something I thought I had done already.

I'm not going to try and remove it, I'll let it live this time....

14. rrijkers macrumors 6502

rrijkers

Opera is installed with Adobe CS3:
    /Applications/Adobe Bridge CS3/Bridge CS3.app/Contents/MacOS/Opera.app
    /Applications/Adobe Device Central CS3/Device Central.app/Contents/MacOS/Required/Opera.app

I changed it to Opera_.app and will change it back to Opera.app if it breaks something in CS3

15. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

I've noticed this too, I do have CS3 installed but I still find it weird. Why would it be installed with CS3?

16. rrijkers macrumors 6502

rrijkers

some say it is because it has some sort of a quick render engine. But I am not sure, i don't like it anyways :)

17. mzd macrumors 6502a

i was curious about this as well. looks like CS3 uses Opera as a rendering engine in a number of it's apps, especially for Device Central - where you can preview pages on a variety of devices (specific cell phones, pda, etc.). as such i wouldn't recommend removing Opera. my install did not take over safari though.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's there for the same reason as it was with Macromedia Studio MX 2004, to support Dreamweaver and Flash.