Embedded quicktime skin

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Me1000, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

I have searched for near an hour looking how to, semi-easily, skin my player controls on my embedded quicktime video. I've gone to Apple's site and looked around a great deal, examining the source, digging through their ADC, the closest thing I came to was using HTML5 (which isn't supported on anything other than newer webkit browsers [Safari, and Chrome]...)

Apple is not using HTML 5 on their site, because their code works in Firefox (and I would assume IE) too.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

You searched for an hour? In about 10 seconds I typed in "quicktime skin" into Google and here is the number one hit:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/mediaskins.html

That page is titled "How to create Quicktime Media Skins".

On a side note, another option is to use software such as Moyea Flash Pro or a million other packages that have full theme/skin support already built in. You can allow users to select skins or create your own, and distribute the file in Flash .swf or imported .fla format via Flash which is supported by 98% of the browsers out there - bypassing many company firewall issues where third party plugins like QuickTime might be required for non-Mac users.

-jim

3. Me1000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Me1000

I appreciate the reply, minus the attitude. (because during my hour search I had already come across that article)
    I don't think that's what I'm looking for.

From what I understand that adds the controls to the quicktime file itself, I'm looking at the way Apple is embedding video on their site, where the controls are HTML elements (examine through Safari's web inspector, or Firebug). Then the .mov is embedded normally.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that article is documenting this functionality.
    :)

I guess it doesn't really matter now, I just went with flash video for simplicity's sake.

:apple:

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

You should have said that the first time. My advice and that link was directly related to the way you worded your original request. You got frustrated after your long search and took it out on me, which is unfair. Now that you've explained yourself the topic has changed entirely, technically, which is even more frustrating for those trying to help you, namely me.

This is the link you likely want:

http://developer.apple.com/document...cripting_HTML_AIntroduction/Introduction.html

It's Apple's own developer help page for "HTML scripting for QuickTime".

Pay close attention to the two techniques, JS and SMIL.

-jim

5. Me1000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Me1000

Thank you, I apologize if I offended you.
    I think that is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks again! :)

:apple: