Embedded videos not functioning in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mac1984user, Aug 15, 2012.

1. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

Embedded videos are not functioning on Safari 6.0 on my retina MacBook Pro. Only YouTube videos are working, whereas most other sites like Guardian.co.uk are not working. I have to load up Firefox, which looks pretty horrible on the retina display, it must be said. Anyone else experiencing the same issue? Any proposed fixes? My Adobe Flash is all updated.

2. ericmooreart macrumors regular

ericmooreart

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The video on that site works for me on Safari with 10.8.1.

It looks like it is just a YouTube embed. I am using the YouTube5 extension to force YouTube vids to play in HTML5.

4. mac1984user thread starter macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

5. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Upgrade your flash? Reset Safari? Trash Safari preferences (after backing up bookmarks, etc.)?

6. ericmooreart macrumors regular

ericmooreart

Tried that. It blows up in Firefox, Chome and IE

----------

Probably because you don't have flash installed. The web is so much more manageable with flash

----------

I made a separate page for Safari. on load my pages check for safari then redirect

http://emooreart.com/video-safari.html

7. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

In his first post he mentioned his flash is all updated.

OP, do you have any security add-ons installed like Adblock or Ghostery? If so, you might want to whitelist the sites giving you issues.

8. mac1984user thread starter macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

Thanks for all your input. In response to "Sital", turning 'Adblock' and 'Ghostery' off worked out well for me. However, I don't understand how the same settings on Safari and Firefox have such different results. I have these extensions installed in Firefox as well and videos load just fine. For example, this embedded video works in Firefox, but not Safari with the same extensions:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/video/2012/oct/08/skyfall-adele-bond-theme-video

However, this is obviously an issue with extensions themselves and their interaction with Safari. I've added Guardian to the 'safe list' for both extensions and video is loading just fine. It's just a shame I cannot avoid the annoying analytics companies leeching my usage data. Thanks again!

9. DropIn, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012

DropIn macrumors newbie

As I have been struggling with this issue myself (embedded videos not appearing on message boards) I thought that I would quickly join up and post my solution.

I found that it was the extension called Google Disconnect 1.1.0 that was causing my troubles. AdBloc is A-OK, as are a number of other extensions that I use (Twitter Disconnect, Facebook Disconnect, Back Track, QuickLook Photo Gallery). Turns out that disabling Google Disconnect was the key, at least for me.