embedding company logo in email HELP!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by thouts, Mar 27, 2009.

1. thouts macrumors regular

thouts

Hello,

I've searched forums all over trying to find the right answer I hope someone can help. I'm wondering if there is a way to embed our company logo into everyone's e-mail signature and have ALL recipeints be able to view it.

The problem i've been having is some people see it as an attachment, some people cant see it at all, but it does work for others.

Is this because it only depends on the end user's settings in Outlook? Is it possible to make EVERYONE see the image and have no variables? I'm using outlook 2003...others may have different versions. Any insight to this problem would be appreciated.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. thouts thread starter macrumors regular

thouts

Am I right in saying that it all depends on the end user's settings?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes. If they have plain text as their setting, then it will always come as an attachment or link.

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

But WHY?

To expand on that, you can send email in either text or HTML format, even both in the same email where the user's mail client will decide which to display based on the user settings. That's the problem right there - you cannot force HTML on any mail client, and of course not all mail clients support HTML.

Now, it is a true statement that MOST people use GUI email, which means HTML and graphics are supported, but even then, many firewalls are setup to block images to save bandwidth, filters end up thinking it's junk mail, anti-virus software kills it, plus the user might enable that option to not display messages in their config due to choice or an accessibility setup. So even then the percentage of people who can see the graphics is less than one one think in terms of the vast Internet.

If it's an internal email for users in your office or on your LAN, and everyone uses the same browser, etc., sure - send HTML only - but when it comes to the public Internet the best advice is to learn how to send text/html combined emails so the end user client software decides, as I stated above.

It's all based on special content headers in terms of what goes on under the hood.

This page explains exactly how to send text/html simultaneously if you're developing

-jim

6. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

If you send it as an HTML, you can write a little include tag at the footer to point to an image you have on a web server.

but it will still depend on the users mail client whether they accept it or not, or how they accept it.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If the recipient is receiving only plain text, then it will just show up as HTML code.

8. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

yeah, but that's out of your control.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Which is the point, you cannot force the image to display for every recipient.