Embedding images in Mac Mail (Lion)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by walvis, Aug 3, 2011.

1. walvis macrumors newbie

With Lion, I moved from Outlook/Entourage over to Mail which was generally a great experience. However, I struggle with embedding images, both when composing a new message or replying to an existing mail thread.

For some reason, images are always placed at the end of the message, which is fine when composing a new message but bloody annoying when replying to a long chain.

My preferences are set to always use the Rich Text format and I realise that unlike Outlook, Mac Mail does not offer HTML.

I searched the forum and the web for a solution, but couldn't find someone with the same issue.

Hence I wonder, whether its an obvious setting or just me being to new/stupid to figure out how I can drag an image into the mail body and have it appear where I placed the cursor rather than at the very bottom of the mail.

Any help is more than welcome.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why does it even matter where the image appears in the message? Display of inline images is controlled at the recipient's end. Most mail clients do not default to show images inline, and receive them as attachments.

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I thought Mail used the Safari HTML engine to display email. I never had problems with email using images to PC clients so long as they are GIF or JPEG files. TIFF or PDF images will show up as attachments on PC email clients that I have seen such as Outlook. I am using Lion now and it works.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Two things:
    • Numerous people before you have asked this question on this and other Mac fansites.
    • Unlike Entourage/Outlook, HTML is not the default composition protocol in Mail. However, Mail renders received HTML mail without issue. It can also send HTML mail. Apple just forces you through some hoops, with good reason.
    A lot of users come here after having wasted hours trying to layout the "perfect publication" in Mail. It is a fool's errand. miles01110 is correct. The display of email is controlled on the recipient's end. Many people hate HTML mail with a passion. Others force all messages to display as plain text.

5. walvis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

@ miles01110 and MisterMe:

I believe the statement, that image display is controlled at the recipients end is only partly correct. I am mainly using Mac Mail within a closed user group of an organisation where all recipients have almost identical hardware/software setups - that's where the way images are displayed matters very much - it becomes a question of coherent design etc.

Agree, that it is indeed a waste of time when composing mails to participants outside this network though.

However, MisterMe, you stated that numerous people posted this question before? I could only find posts relating to the HTML vs Rich Text debate which isn't what I am after. Still very much interested in finding a solution - even if the answer is that I cannot influence where Mac Mail embeds my images ;-)

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

miles01110 and I gave you the facts. It is your choice to believe them or not.

7. walvis thread starter macrumors newbie

And I appreciate he reply. Just for the sake of information, I found the solution, its actually embarrassing simple ;-) :

EDIT > ATTACHEMENTS > ALWAYS INSERT ATTACHEMENTS AT END OF MESSAG E

Btw, you gave me your view, not the facts. There are no facts ;-)

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

In your homogeneous corporate environment your "solution" gives you the result you want, but it is not a "view" that behavior of attachments is controlled at the recipient client instead of the sending client. This is a fact.

9. jocamero macrumors regular

Thank you for your helpful solution! :)