Embedding iTunes Artwork and Performance

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Piplodocus, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Piplodocus macrumors regular

Hello!

I've spent ages over months and years to gradually get all the artwork for my 120GB of music so I really don't want to lose it. I figure this could happen if I have to rebuild by iTunes library if it gets corrupted, or if I copy it to another Mac in future. As a result I figured I could use "Doug's Applescripts for iTunes" Embed Artwork script: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=embedart

I know this will make the files slightly larger, but what about other issues/performance? Will coverflow still work as well? Will it use more/less/the same RAM?

Any other things I should know as I'm not gonna be able to change it back easily!

Why did Apple stop embedding them in the first place? Just so a 12-track album only needs one set of cover art instead of a copy in each of the 12 files that make up the album? (This is also why I also wondered if there would be any performance hit if it thinks it needs to reference/buffer what it thinks is about 10 times the amount of album art, even though a lot of it is the same).

Any tips/thoughts?

2. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I am interested in this as well because this pisses me off to a large extent.

3. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Dude I feel you.

When iTunes in its last iteration I lost a host of artwork. I have about 10,000 songs and probably lost about 10% of the albums!

I was ready to go down to my local apple store and the crap out of someone.