Embedding Subtitles to an AVI

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ShiggyMiyamoto, Sep 3, 2007.

1. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Hey all. I downloaded OGMs of my favorite anime episodes, or in this case an anime movie called Princess Mononoke, directed by the awesome Hayao Miyazaki. I'm what they call a "purist" and I don't want the english audio. I've managed to extract the video track (an AVI) and the Japanese audio track (an OGG), but I don't know how to embed the included .ssa subtitle track onto the video track. Would Premiere CS3 be able to help me with that? Are there any notable Windows apps that can do what I need? I find it really odd that the person who did the initial DVD Rip of this movie didn't include the subs that were on the DVD itself.

Thanks,
    ShiggyMiyamoto

2. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

From my Windows years, I still remember a very good program that I wish was available to OSX, that might be your answer. It was called The Subtitle Workshop I think.

3. ShiggyMiyamoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Hmm I'll have to look that up. Thanks!

If you're on an Intel Mac you can get that program and install it via CrossOver or via Parallels/VMWare, or even full blown Windows XP.

4. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I'm trying to embed .sub subtitle file in an avi. I try to use Submerge, but it doesn't support .sub. Should I try another program or try converting .sub > .srt?