Embedding subtitles to .avi file?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tuca, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Tuca macrumors newbie

Hey people.

I'm having some trouble embedding subtitles and converting the files into one single avi movie. I'm streaming the movies to my Xbox 360, so it has to be one single file, and avi (or MP4, i think that works too).

I've tried Submerge, but i keep getting an error when i try to export to avi.
    It'll only convert into .mov, and it takes forever to convert the .mov file into .avi.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Maybe try Handbrake. don't have much experience in subtitles though. sorry..

3. frank62 macrumors newbie

Avi+mac=bad

why are you using your mac to work with AVI anyway :confused:
    I recommend trying crossover and downloading the movie maker .exe file.
    it PROBABLY won't work so just download crossover trial from: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/
    I hope it works out! :D

4. Tuca thread starter macrumors newbie

Because i'm streaming the movies to my Xbox, and it only takes a few different formats. Besides, i think its easier to work with.

I've tried Handbrake, but i can't embed subtitles.

Any other suggestions? :p (Or a possible fix to the Submerge problem)

5. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Yes, handbrake will do. On it you choose the subtitles and make sure yo DO NOT select "Forced subtitles only". That will embed the subtitles to the output file (mp4, avi, etc).

6. Tuca thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm trying to embed .srt files (the subtitles) into an avi movie. I forgot to mention that, sorry. But Handbrake can only apply subtitles to the movie, if you're importing a DVD, as far as i know.

7. Eusebius macrumors member

Does this help? (found after a Google search)
    "Try using ffmpegX. In order to to add the subtitles you must re-encode the avi video. So, drag and drop or open the avi file with ffmpegX. Click the arrow in the area where it says "To" and select the format you want it to be encoded to. I usually choose xvid or divx. Then go to the "Filters" tab and click "Load subs" and select the subtitle file you wish to use. You can also change the subtitle font size, text style, and position (I like to keep the font size and text style default and change the position to Pos 90 to keep the subtitles a little more closer to the bottom). Before you encode the video, you can preview how the subtitles will appear by clicking "Preview." Another thing I like to do before I encode the video, is go to "Options" and check "Two-pass encoding" (this will make the output file quality a little bit better by analyzing the video and creating a log file). Once you have everything set to your preference, just click "Encode" at the bottom right corner to start the encoding process. Once its done, you should have a file, avi in this case, that will have the subtitles encoded into the video. There is no way to remove the subtitles after this process, so make sure that you don't overwrite your original avi file."

8. Tuca thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man, trying it out now :D

9. Tuca thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks alot! Works great, you just made my day :D

Thanks for everyones help :)

10. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

HandBreak can apply srt files into any output (just be sure to force Quicktime decoding to the process, and have perian and/or flip4mac installed, since it will only apply them if Quicktime can read them), wheter it comes from a DVD or an avi file.

11. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Though that's not Handbrake's doing, that's the srt-loading feature in Perian. (In which case it needs to be in the same directory as the video, possibly also same name.)

12. talatimac macrumors newbie

Embedding subtitles to .avi file?

Many forums are talking about tens of programs. This is about how to combine video with subtitles. For example, Submerge, avidemux, isubtitle, VirtualDub, ffmpegx such programs. But these programs are removed or language problems or codec problem. What is the purpose? The goal is to say the video without subtitles mov, avi, divx or any format to save. How can we do, one will be our screen capture program. I'm using iShowU. First, the video le video player like vlc or mplayer to open it. Then call the subtitles and watch the image to the position. Then, open ishowu or another screen capture program select an area by the video screen size. Watching your video screen capture program to record begins. If you make the correct settings embedded video does not need a converter program or embed subtitles. Your video in less time, you will be saved during films. All transactions is done, if you want divx format video converter program or would like to turn it into VisualHUB like mpeg, avi, m4a, flv, 3gp .. so simple .. good times

13. jackerin macrumors 6502a

This is a bad idea on so many levels.

14. detonish macrumors newbie

Works perfectly
    -Thanks mate

15. swinne macrumors newbie

It works perfectly but it takes ages! Isn't there an equivalent for aviaddxsub?This one only works on windows, but encoding the subs take only 5 min.