Embrace 1.1.1!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by edmartin, Oct 1, 2007.

1. edmartin macrumors member

I just thought we should have 1 of these to go along with the "Boycott 1.1.1" thread.

I guess I've just gotten beaten down by The Man...

I had DirecTV and an illegal card that gave me all the channels for free. And then those bastards turned it off! Can you believe it?

I hijacked my neighbor's wifi for the last year until the outrageous jerk decided to put a password on it. Nice, huh?

I bought a freaked cell phone and called everyone I knew in Australia until Olivia Newton-John and Paul Hogan stopped taking my calls. Bums.

I bought a fast car and a nice radar detector and flew up & down the highway until I got pulled over for doing 140 in a 55 and the misguided cops pulled my license. Creeps.

And then I bought an iPhone, unlocked it, used T-Mobile and loaded it with unauthorized 3rd party apps. Then that lousy bastard Steve Jobs took all that unauthorized stuff away from me! Maybe I'll sue!

I have rights, you know! I can do what I want! I'm entitled! I don't care about the rules or even the law!

Spare me. We bought a locked phone with overt prohibition for 3rd party apps. Deal with it. Or hop on over to eBay and sell the phone. But stop whining. 1.1.1 didn't take anything away that you weren't supposed to have.

2. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

LoL! you know you can get back to 1.0.2 right?

3. ~J~ macrumors 6502

I bought a refurb Mini and it came with Tiger?! I WANTED LEOPARD! I'm suing!

lol... sorry... i felt a little left out with all the other whining going on right now. Suing for $1M?? c'mon... and complaining about the lockdown... well, I understand they dont want people going over to t-mobile, that was part of their contract with ATT, im sure. but i would like to see them open the phone up to 3rd party vendors. or even allow it, but make the approval process go thro Apple... something. all the other smartphones they wanted to compete with allow 3rd party apps.

4. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

I don't see the point of all this business. I'm going to buy my iPhone on 9/11 and live on O2 for 18 months, because I have faith in Apple providing decent software and firmware updates before the iPhone II or whatever, and it's for this exact reason I'm not gonna unlock it, or install 3rd party apps.

I want to keep my iPhone working it's best - or at least stay on the side of Apple that will let me get it fixed if it does break.

5. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

Amen!!!!!

edmartin

I agree with you 100%!!! At first I thought, why would they brick hacked phones? But the audacity of people to hack ad complain? Get the freak over it. If they alter something they take a risk. It's not Apple's job to cater to hacks.

6. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

Me too. I updated mine before any other iPhone owners at the office. The only grumpy person was a guy who hacked his. The rest of us were/are excited.

I am not a music buyer, but I bought two iTune songs as soon as I could connect to wifi that evening. Today I couldn't make it to Starbucks to try the new feature, but I'll make it there this week. Woo-hoo!!

7. bmustaf macrumors regular

Convincing, but really, no cigar. While true those that maintain the contention that they are somehow legally entitled to something beyond what they purchased (e.g. a right to unlock, etc) are off their rocker, it's also ridiculous to tell these people to censor themselves and not 1) complain or 2) boycott.

What other means to these folks have to express disdain to Apple? What if everyone shutup and didn't complain after the price cut -- you think Steve would have played the $100 store credit card he had in his back pocket? Hardly. He tried to get away with something if the market would bear it and they clearly didn't. He acquised to the needs/wants of the market.

Folks boycotting a firmware update, writing petitions, writing to Apple (and doing so very publicly), and even filing what may be prima faice frivolous suits is what makes this stuff happen. Don't like to hear it? Ignore the thread. Don't listen to the podcast of the decriers.

While I don't feel at ALL entitled to install 3rd party apps and I know Apple is 100% in the right to do what they have done (legally and per the terms of the contract/conditions of me buying their device), I DO think it's poor strategy and one that disappoints me. I love my 3rd party apps and am NOT upgrading to 1.1.1. In fact, if they force an upgrade to it in the next version of OS X/iTunes, I won't upgrade to that either. That's how strongly I feel? Am I entitled to mess with my iPhone? NO. Am I entitled to tell Apple to go stick it and do so very publicly? YES, ABSOLUTELY.

8. edmartin thread starter macrumors member

Simple. Don't buy the iPhone or sell the one you have. That hits Apple's checkbook if you're really out to make a statement.

It's ludicrous to complain about no longer having access to things that were never part of the product OR never promised OR against the posted rules OR overtly in the face of what the provider says you are allowed to do OR against the law.

I'm all for free speech. People can be ignorant and rant about not having 3rd party apps or unlocking tools. And the rest of us have the right to say "grow up".

I have not supported censorship - that's not allowing people to talk at all. I exercised my right to free speech and just said that people should stop whining and I used examples of very valid other ways that "the entitled" sometimes support unauthorized or illegal activities to give some context for how ridiculous "others" are being. The people whining about losing unlocking or 3rd party apps are no different that some joker complaining (or boycotting or expressing disdain) about DirecTV turning off their hacked access card.

9. bmustaf macrumors regular

I see where you're coming from, but people not being repeat customers hits them 1-2 years down the road (if you ask me, sitting silent and waiting for the day to talk with your checkbook for iPhone2 is the ludicrous path of action, as you say). People complaining and being up in arms drives that point home today and hopefully influences future product direction.

Think that kind of dissent doesn't work? Ask all the folks who told the price drop detractors to "shut up and go home" or "speak with your checkbook next time" how their crow tastes. Plenty of examples of this, this is just the most salient.

Sure, I won't buy another iPhone if this is the way Apple is going to treat the platform, but I'm sure glad that there's a choir of folks expressing that intention and disconcert TODAY, well in advance of our next major phone purchase (which for me is on a 1-2 year cycle).

10. GTiPhone macrumors regular

1.1.1 has ruined my battery life.

I guess I shoudl praise Steve Jobs even for that right?

11. edmartin thread starter macrumors member

Actually, it hits them today. If you sell your iPhone on eBay, that's a sale that Apple won't get. If half of the people abandon their iPhones because they've gotten fed up with it, Apple will be stuck at the 1 million units they already sold instead of hitting 1.5 million; they don't participate in the after-market (but I'm sure they watch the traffic on eBay). So it's a very visible and very economic move on the part of unhappy customers. A lot more effective than a boycott of v1.1.1.

I've never suggested that people shouldn't raise valid issues. But I'm just sick of the people out there complaining about stuff that is anywhere from unauthorized to illegal. The iPhone is a locked device. Stop whining about not being able to continue unlocking it. The iPhone does not offer 3rd party apps. Stop whining about loosing AppTapp (which I liked, by the way).

I started this thread to A) point out the luncay and irrational premise in the "Boycott 1.1.1" thread and B) to actually promote comment and discussion (not to censor people as suggested along the way). We should be spending our energy and voices on valid issues - not the crap about "I hate Apple because they won't let me unlock my phone". Um, no,they won't let you unlock your iPhone. Get over it.

12. GTiPhone macrumors regular

I guess being a life-long PC guy you got used to locked down machines with no hope of individual customization, even though it supposed to support that.

13. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I think what the OP was getting at by "speaking with your checkbook" was that everyone knew what the features of the phone would be when it first came out. If you didn't like them, you didn't have to buy the phone in the first place. I'm not enitrely invalidating your argument but clairifying the original

Or it could have been Steve's plan all along. Get people riled up, them give them more money to spend at his store.

14. bmustaf macrumors regular

Oh, I entirely agree it was his plan all along, but he wasn't going to do it unless he heard cries of dissatisified early adopters. Either way he's walking to the bank, this way he has to give out a bit of his margins...the other way he'd give NONE of his early margins.

Still, I think it's folks being vocal that made it happen, otherwise the plan would have remained in his back pocket forever.

15. thomasfxlt macrumors 6502

Cheers!. Authorized development of 3rd party apps. is coming soon enough. As far as open phones and all that. That's between Apple and ATT.

16. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

What improvements would I get with 1.1.1???

Sounds like there's a battery life issue for some who updated?

17. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

New Features include:

- iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store
    - Louder speakerphone and receiver volume
    - Home Button double-click shortcut to phone favorites or music controls
    - Space bar double-tap shortcut to intelligently insert period and space
    - Mail attachments are viewable in portrait and landscape
    - Stocks and cities in Stocks and Weather can be re-ordered
    - Apple Bluetooth Headset battery status in the Status Bar
    - Support for TV Out
    - Preference to turn off EDGE/GPRS when roaming internationally
    - New Passcode lock time intervals
    - Adjustable alert volume

No battery issues here.

Everthing just works.

(I did not hack my phone so that's prob. why.)

18. bmustaf macrumors regular

I re-read the OP and just realized there are some serious logic problems...

1) Stealing DirecTV is illegal. Hacking an iPhone voids your warranty, but is not illegal.

2) Hijacking WiFi sits in a grey area of the law. Certainly doesn't pass a smoke tests. But again, Hacking an iPhone voids your warranty, but is not illegal.

3) Freaking cell phones is illegal. Hacking an iPhone voids your warranty, but is not illegal.

4) Speeding is illegal. Hacking an iPhone voids your warranty, but is not illegal.

5) Unlocking is a grey area of the law in some countries, but 3rd party apps certainly are NOT. Again, Hacking an iPhone voids your warranty, but is not illegal.

I agree with the OP that those that are pissing and moaning that they have iBricks should have known the risks, and understood them (and looked at Apple's past behavior here, too). But should we all stop trying and caring? That's ridiculous (see my previous posts in this thread). The original analogies, even under the guise of being ironic or reductum adabsurdum are flawed. They're dogmatic and irrational.

*For those out there wanting to spout the DMCA to say hacking it is illegal, be careful, because it's never been successfully proven it's not...in fact, precedent has protected this kind of work.

19. edmartin thread starter macrumors member

Hardly. But here's another one for the nit-picky types that want to divert the subject and get into to technicalities (and use big words) rather than take the initial analogies as fair examples of people abusing the system and expecting retribution or free-romp...

"I over-clocked my PC and the CPU melted into gelatinous silicon goo. Those bastards at Intel owe me a new one."

Bzzzt. Wrong.

The point is that many of us are just sick and tired of those whiners that are PO'ed because they can't do the things to their iPhone that they were never supposed to do in the first place - specifically, unlocking and unauthorized 3rd party apps (which is all 3rd party apps since Apple has not authorized any yet). These cry-babies are sucking up all the oxygen so that any valid issues with the new 1.1.1 firmware are either missed or so overwhelmed that they are virtually lost.

Let's get into figuring out if there is a battery drain issue. Let's get into a discussion about the stats and semi-scientific polling showing that the probability of your iPhone getting bricked with 1.1.1 was the same whether you had unlocked it or not (see stories over on Engadget).

That stuff is productive. But to all those abusers of the system that are just whining about not being able to use T-Mobile or AppTapp - hey, your 15 minutes of fame are up. Go away.

20. PDE macrumors 68020

I'm one of those complaining a lot (about Apple/ATT, not the iphone per se) and then getting flamed. I resent myself for coming back to add comments all the time, despite finding it all irritating and meaningless. However, what I don't understand is why people HAVE to participate (including myself) - if you want to discuss other things related to your iphone, just skip the threads that are very obviously related to these issues, and move on to the meaty, useful threads.

21. b257177 macrumors regular

There is actually a specific exemption for hacking phones for the purpose of removing single-network/provider use restrictions. Meaning, it is legal to do so. On another note, providers are required to provide unlocking codes after 90 days, upon request. Not even AT&T has the unlock codes for the iPhone... yet.

Meanwhile, many of us are still quite happy with our fully (and legally) unlocked version 1.0.2 iPhone's, as well as fully understanding and accepting of Apple's right to legally deny warranty because of said unlocking or hacking.

Don't get me wrong... I completely agree that the people who unlocked or hacked (of which I am one) have no room to complain. The smart ones know the game and knew better than to upgrade so it's the others (the less-than-smart ones) that we continue to hear whine.

22. bmustaf macrumors regular

Once again, your analogy is a red herring, that although giving the appearance of a common-sense argument really misconstrues the point (call that nit-picking, but it's really non-sensical analogies and dogmatic arguments based less on analysis and more on assertions here that are doing the "diverting" you speak of).

We agree, stop whining if you bricked your iPhone (you should know what you're getting into!).

Where I seem to take exception with your advocacy is you're telling people to shut up and "Go Away" because they're "taking up oxygen".

First, it's a productive conversation, you've conveniently chosen to ignore my contention from my very first reply that public dissent about Apple's product is a viable means to effect change we'd like to see.

Second, even if that wasn't the case, I'm glad you take yourself seriously enough to tell people "[their] 15 minutes of fame is over" and that they should "go away" because they're "taking up oxygen".

Stay Classy, San Diego...

23. edmartin thread starter macrumors member

Exactly how is it a red herring? It's not "illegal" to overclock and if it destroys the device (aka "bricks it") I think it's quite a sensical (is that a word?) and non-dogmatic (or that?) analogy.

Whatever.

See, that's where we differ. It's not productive to argue for the return of unlocking and unauthorized 3rd party apps (which is the basis for this thread as a counter to the "boycott 1.1.1" thread). You're not going to get an unlocked device. You're not going to get free-for-all 3rd party apps. Maybe some day Apple will allow licensed 3rd party apps. But proposing a boycott of 1.1.1 isn't going to have a bit of impact on that.

This isn't about free speech or rational expression of dissatisfaction toward the goal of reasonable change. I'm for all of that! This is about the guy over in the "boycott" thread and his ilk that are PO'ed about losing that which they never should have had and being really ignorant in what they are spewing - in terms of the "want" as well as their proposed action toward it.

So how about you & I drop this thread and go work toward getting some real apps (3rd party or otherwise) for the iPhone sooner rather than later?