Embraced my inner gamer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MatthewAMEL, Oct 12, 2013.

1. MatthewAMEL macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

Been an Apple 'addict' since my first encounter with MacPaint and the 128K Mac.

But, it turns out, I love Skyrim (and Fallout, really, really Fallout) more...just ordered an 17" Alienware with the 4GB 780M.

I'm hard pressed to tell you what I am going to miss about my 2011 13" MBP. I still have my iMac and Mini, after all...

The 5lb caryweight perhaps.

Don't judge me. I've been dealing with 15fps in F:NV for years. I need 100fps. :eek:

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Its understandable my friend!

Im still managing on my rMBP, I can get 100 fps on some online games depending on the amount of people on there. But ultimately I would like to have the power to not worry about fps.

Hope you enjoy your new machine! :D

3. hachiman macrumors regular

Why not just build a PC? Newegg.com is your friend.

I love custom PC for gaming. I use both PC and Macs too. You are spending extra money alittle more power inside a laptop. For the same price, you can build a kickass machine.

4. MatthewAMEL thread starter macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

I am away from home 15-16 days a month. I need my gaming to come with me.

Unsurprisingly, my daughter endorses this plan. She's getting my MBP. ;)

5. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

you cannot build your own laptop that easily.

yes, i know you mean a desktop, but people buy laptops for a reason, it is no secret that laptops are less powerfull for the price you pay.. but you gain mobility.

If you see any other post about a guy buying a laptop (just a regular one).. you're not saying "dude, you could totally build a desktop for a lot cheaper".. but suddenly when it comes to gaming people aren't meant to be mobile? this is a weird way of thinking.. gaming laptops are made for people gaming on the go, or people who needs the desktop performance in a mobile form factor.

6. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

i don't need a gaming laptop, my work-travel solution is to spend my money on whiskey and lap dances

7. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

In hachiman's defense, I thought the same thing. Most hardcore gamers aren't going for pure mobility, if for no other reason than your input controllers (a mouse, at the absolute least, and usually a full-size keyboard as the other bare essential). Those aren't the types of things that you'll be bringing to the couch, or to your local coffee shop. It sort of defeats the purpose of mobility. The laptop becomes something of a fixture for gaming, but might go mobile for other tasks.

That sort of "double life" is what leads to the idea that you could have a desktop PC for gaming, and a laptop for your other work. You're gaming in one location, but want something mobile for elsewhere. On discussion forums, it's a common scenario that comes up for college students.

If you're away from home and gaming on the go, as seems to be the case for MatthewAMEL, then the story is different. He isn't trying to have a laptop for certain tasks, then returning to his computer room to game. He's traveling, presumably staying at different places, and wanting to game from those places. A gaming laptop makes a lot of sense, and I would agree that a gaming PC wouldn't be a good fit.

8. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Gaming laptop is great for LAN parties. It just seems silly to have to lug your gaming machine, tower, monitor, input cables, power cables, and all in a tub to your friends house to game. Just... bring your desktop power in a laptop.

9. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

That's how my friends and I used to do it back when we were teenagers. Something about the inconvenience of it all made it even more epic, and we gamed like crazy to make the most of it. Gaming laptops didn't exist back then, though, and I doubt we could have afforded one even if they had. I understand the appeal for those with the funds, I suppose.

10. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

It is a great joke, but it's only so funny because it's true. Get the hell out of your hotel room and see what's more fun out there. I think quitting games on my computer was one of the best things I did (used to spend 2-3-4 hours daily on that ****).

Recently found a copy of Need for Speed: Most Wanted on my laptop, can't bring myself to delete it. Damn, to this day it's the most fun NFS ever made. Still works like a charm, Mountain Lion did not break it, though I closed it right away before I could get an itch and binge on it. ;)

11. MatthewAMEL thread starter macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

Well, 1st impressions:

OMFG, this thing is HUGE.

Wait...it's HUGE! :D

It feels SO much faster than my i7 MBP.

Did I mention it's HUGE?

What do I replace iPhoto and iMovie with?

For those that are interested:

Alienware 17
    Intel i7-4900MQ (2.8GHz/3.8 turbo)
    32GB 1600MHz DDR3
    NVidia 4GB 780M
    256GB mSATA + 750GB HDD + 4X Blu-ray reader
    17.3 1920x1080 120Hz/3D display (it's a TN, not IPS)
    Win8 Pro
    3DMark 11 is 7188
    I paid $2984 with next day shipping.