EMERGENCY - bringing purchased mbp on plane

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RiCEADDiCTBOY, Jun 13, 2009.

1. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

quick question - faster and reliable answers required! can i bring a 15" purchased mbp in its box on the plane? delta reps are horrible and didn't give me a straight answer for some reason...

anyone by sheer chance did this?

2. andymodem macrumors 6502a

I'm willing to bet they'll make you take it out of the box if you carry it on the plane.

3. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I second that.

4. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

They might want you to remove it from the box. And sometimes will ask you to power it up.

5. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

I'm certain you won't be able to pass through security with a sealed box and you'll probably have to take it out to go through the scanners.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You're... JOKING. :eek:

Box: NO.
    Single pocket case (say, neoprene): YES.

You don't have to take it out of a case if it is the only thing in there.

7. Sandy Santra macrumors 6502

(1) Will the box fit underneath the seat in front of you? (It might have to.)
    (2) Do you have the receipt? (Would prove that it's not stolen.)
    (3) Does it have enough battery (juice) so that you can boot it up to prove to them that it's a laptop (and not a terrorist device)? This is a basic requirement for flying with laptops.

AND if you're planning on turning it ON during the flight, make SURE that the Airport (router) is turned off in advance.

If you're thinking that keeping the factory seal on the box intact (if there is one) is the way to go, that's not necessarily true. They almost ALWAYS want the laptop out of whatever bag/box it's in and put into a grey bin all by itself before it goes through X-ray machine.

8. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

she said i would only have to open the box to show the contents inside of it. i think the dimensions allowed are 22" x 14" x 9"

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

For what it is worth, it isn't Delta's call... it is TSA and security
    Delta cannot authorize, approve or otherwise circumvent what TSA says
    And your mileage will vary from airport to airport on that regard
    Delta can't answer definitively because they don't control the TSA

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

i am flying back to germany.

11. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Exactly. Makes no difference what Delta said.

They will most likely ask you to take the laptop out of the box to scan it separately.

They might ask you to boot it up (it's a random thing -- but I've been asked before so I know it happens).

If you don't want to do any of this, you might wanna think about having it shipped to your destination. Either that or open it and get everything set up before getting to the airport.

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...pack the box and what ever accessories you don't need in your checked luggage...

Get the smallest laptop case you can that will protect your machine and be prepared to turn it on...TSA makes the rules, not Delta.

13. rowsdower macrumors 6502

If you aren't planning to declare it at customs you might want to ship the box to yourself separately so that it isn't obvious that you just bought it.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

All laptops must be scanned so you WILL have to take it out of the box to have scanned separately followed by the box and contents. The computer will also count as one carry-on (obviously).

My suggestion is to buy a computer sleeve or bag and carry the computer separately from the box. That way the computer is ready to scan when you get to security. They will probably ask you if a computer is in the box, just tell them it's just the box, manual and power brick.

I'm pretty sure an MBP box is smaller than Delta's carry-on bag limit but you can check their web site for allowed dimensions.

15. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

do yourself a favor and ditch the box. you are asking for problems with it

16. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Why can't you take it out of the box and put the box in your checked luggage.

Or, take it out of the box when they ask you to and then put it back in the box after they inspect it?

Cheers.

17. Magick macrumors member

agreed, unless you're planning to declare it at customs you could be in for a nice addition to your initial purchasing price.

18. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Buy a nice sleeve and put the box in luggage (if you don't want to throw it away entirely). If it's for someone else... well, they should be happy with what they get. Also consider that if you got a dead or otherwise defective unit (rare but happens), it'll be easier to exchange it at the store you bought it (or at least in the country you bought it) than back home.

19. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Depends on the airport. I just flew through one that you didn't have to take anything out of its bag.

Week later at another they made me remove my shoes from same bin as MBA even though they were placed in no way interfering with x-ray. I also needed a pat down because my shirt was "too big." She was cute and I liked it. Requested a full cavity search but she wasn't obliging.

20. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

lmao i glad i highlight my text while i read ;)

21. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

Never ever EVER

Check a laptop with your luggage unless it is sealed in one of those metallic cases that the movie guys fill with unmarked bills.
    http://www.creativecookware.com/images/BBQ tool set golf 5.JPG

Put that box in your luggage and buy a laptop attaché bag.

Also next time consider actually shipping the item purchased in a box via UPS or FEDEX. That way you avoid customs and airport security theater.

22. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Not true, all international shipments require customs forms. People lie and put legal documents or text books but if they open and inspect you will get the duties, tariffs or taxes depending on the country you are entering.

Best bet is to always ditch the box and have a laptop case. I would even have gotten through all the initial setup so it comes up to my login screen.

Cheers,

23. Woz Beard macrumors regular

Woz Beard

Whatever you do, don't exclaim that the "new MacBook Pro is the BOMB" during the flight.

You'll get in trouble. :(

24. Kristalghost macrumors member

lol yeah and definitely not at customs xD

25. wesrk macrumors 6502a

On the way back from Spain, a lady had the entire box and she was allowed into the plane and she only placed the box into the bin and that was that. This was the only time I've seen a box of any kind make it into the plane without it being opened before.

Other than that, everytime someone has a box of whatever, they have to open it, this includes several apple boxes and in different countries flying into the U.S. (from Tijuana and another time from Mexico City) and flying out of the US (to Mexico and to England). I haven't experienced a box situation in a domestic U.S. flight.