Emergency call - I have an idea for a feature

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Risco, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

I was just thinking about this, and wondered why it has never been an option. Basically, I have a pin code on my phone as I am sure others do. Now if that phone is lost, for sure I can secure erase or find my phone. However there are some honest people out there. Now as things stand, they would not be able to get in to my address book to look me up or family member due to the pin code. Another thing as well, is for example I had a big motorbike accident about 10 months ago. I did have my phone on me, however of course it had a pin. Luckily I was conscious and therefore able to direct someone to unlock my phone and call a friend. Now, if I was unconscious, then I would not have been able to do this.

Here is my suggestion, and that is to have an emergency contact on the emergency number screen. So it would have something along the lines of "in case of emergency or lost phone please call"

What do you think? Maybe someone could make a mockup on my suggestion? I do know you can send a message with find my phone.

2. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

3. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Actually, I don't think the functionality the OP has described is available. The options in your link revolve around handling incoming calls, not outgoing. When the phone is locked, 911 is your only choice.

4. kerr macrumors member

I've been wondering the same thing. What's the point of having an I.C.E. in your Contacts if you have a PIN lock? So my thinking was to create a lockscreen wallpaper with a note:
    In case of emergency
    Call John (213) 555-6789

5. kannesss macrumors 6502a

6. gmidgley macrumors newbie

And 999 / 112 / 100 in fact there are hundreds.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_telephone_number

7. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

I have an app called Wallpaper Maker Pro where I have made a lock screen with my home number & email in case of loss .
    Since reading this tread I have now added an ICE number in the last line .

8. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

"Luckily, iOS 6 and iCloud now offer Lost mode, making it even easier to use Find My iPhone to locate and protect a missing device. Immediately lock your missing iPhone with a four-digit passcode and send it a message displaying a contact number. That way a good Samaritan can call you from your Lock screen without accessing the rest of the information on your iPhone."
    ^ that is right from the iOS 6 site.

9. jelew1985 macrumors member

So how is he going to utilize that feature of he is on the ground unconscious? What he is stating is there should be a way to add to the emergency contacts when you tap on emergency call. At the moment you are only restricted to a 911 call.

10. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

It sounds nice but I don't see how it would help in case of emergency :confused:

11. tann macrumors 68000

This is kinda an improvement of the current iOS 6 functionality. With iOS 6 you still need to first log in and tell your phone to display a number/lock.

They could instead let you allocate emergency numbers that can be accessed from the lock screen? They wouldn't display the actual number, just a name/title (e.g. Dad, Lucy (sister) etc - something like this?).

iOS 7!

12. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

Yup exactly! If I had not been conscious when I had my accident then I would not have been able to direct the lady to unlock my phone and call someone.

13. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

Yeah I left that part out. On that front, it would be a cool feature. I think someone else earlier mentioned something about find my iPhone.

As for a regular emergency contact, that's a good idea

14. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

As others have pointed out, this is still not the functionality the OP is asking for and will not be useful in a real emergency.

Lost/Stolen != Emergency Call

15. Primus84 macrumors 6502

If it's that much of an emergency, 911, 999 etc. is what you want.

If you're conscious and able to give instructions to call relatives etc. then perhaps 911, 999 etc. is not what you want and you wouldn't need this feature.

I can't see how this would be useful. In the UK the emergency services specifically ask friends of those involved in accidents not to contact family members until the police family liaison officer is there to assist properly.

16. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

Fine, you're unconscious, you've already had the 911 thing done and are in a hospital. Would you like this Liaison Officer to look at your phone, get a number for an emergency contact and call them? Or would prefer that they potentially waste hours simply attempting to figure out who you are?

Getting to the hospital is obviously priority #1. No one is denying that. They're just saying that step #2 (contacting an emergency contact) could be made MUCH quicker and easier. I'm fortunate that I have no serious allergies. But if I was allergic to something like morphine, and I was in a hospital unconscious, I would LOVE to have someone there who could tell them of my medical issues up-front rather than doctors reacting after the fact.

You may not see how this could be useful. That doesn't mean it's not.