Emergency Charger for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MacMiniBoy, Jul 3, 2010.

1. MacMiniBoy macrumors newbie

So, I'm planning to bring my iPhone 4 with me to a 4 day festival this year, and as we all know, the battery is never gonna last that long. There are charging stations at the festival but no way am I leaving my iPhone with some clown at a festival for a few hours.

So, I want something I can use to charge my iPhone while I'm there. I've seen little devices on eBay that you can put two AA batteries into and then charge your iPhone off that. This sounds perfect. However, the ones on eBay sometimes mention that they'll work with a 3G, but not a 3GS. I can't find any that mention the iPhone 4. I thought they'd all just work as the little connector for iPhones/iPods seems to be standardised across all devices.

So, anyone any idea where I can get a AA battery charger for an iPhone 4?

For the record, I'm based in UK.

2. Badfoot macrumors 6502

I've got one, bought from Dealextreme ( about £5) that mentioned " Foripod nano, video, touch, iphone", and use it with my 3gs with no problems. It's ideal as aa batteries are available everywhere, and are rated at least 3000mAH, although remember it has to up-convert the voltage from 3v to 5v so you do loose some capacity in the conversion, but mine will fully charge my phone a couple of times (using decent aa batteries). Not guaranteeing anything, but they're pretty cheap so worth a try.

3. scgf macrumors member

Probably the best device is a Power Monkey. It comes with plugs for numerous devices, not just iPhones. One model comes with a mains charging unit - you charge the Power Monkey and it will keep that charge for a year. You then plug it into an iPhone and it will charge it fully twice before the Power Monkey itself needs to be recharged.

The version with the AA cells in it doesn't have as much charge available to you - but does have the advantage that you can load it with a couple of AA batteries whenever and wherever.

I know the Power Monkey works with a 3GS, but not sure about a 4. Will try it when I'm at home and let you know.

4. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

I see Eneloop has a couple units "search for Eneloop boost". I might try and get one of those. I've found Eleloop rechargable batteries hold their charges much longer than other brands of recharale batteries while sitting unused. Their AA and AAA rechargable batteries have held up better than other brands I've tried. They have a new small charger out that takes 2 AA batteries and comes with Eneloop brand - only seen on eBay from Japan dealers so fare as well as a couple older units with sealed battery backs.

5. MacMiniBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

I had a look on DealExtreme, but I still can't find anything for this.
    Anyone else any suggestions?

6. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

See the post right above yours