Emergency!!! haha need some help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TopHatPlus, Aug 9, 2010.

1. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

Aug 1, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    So after 4 years i came inside to find my macbook (2007) not loading anything!! it was making a tic tic tic toc sound repeatedly so i manually shut it down, i tried to restart the sound started and the load screen, the white one with the mac symbol disapeared and a file symbol appeared with a question mark, i am assuming that my hard drive is toasted, not surprising i am extremely hard on it using it at like 99% capacity while i edit large quantity of 1080p video.

so i google the removal process, and i must say mac is an extremely smart company =D it is so user friendly!!!

so i have a Seagate momentus 5400.3 160 gb hard drive that came stock in my computer, and i am thinking about upgrading to a 250 gb, or 500 depending on the price, i don't wanna sink a pile of dough becuase in a few weeks a plan on buying a brand new macbook pro

now my question is how does the time machine backup work? i have 140 gb ish on a 2 tb external hard drive, i am getting a new hard drive going to a friends house to get snow leopard re installed (got it off him for free) then what do i do? i want my itunes library and my iphot library back how do i do this?

i am very very proud to say that after 4 years of about 16 hours a day my hard drive broke =D haha sounds to me like this make is a much better investment then i ever thought possible =D
  2. d88co88 macrumors 6502

Dec 8, 2009
    I think you boot up with the install disc and click restore from time machine backup from the utilities menu.
  3. Intell macrumors P6

Jan 24, 2010
  4. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

Aug 2, 2010
    From the Mac Beginner's Guide...

Thirdly (courtesy of vikas soni), be specific with the thread title. A title like Help will not be as easily recognised by our resident gurus."

5. MrCooperS macrumors member

Sep 30, 2009
    Bring it in to Apple. I had a 2006 White MacBook Core Duo with a dead hard drive in 2009. I brought it in to the Genius Bar for them to check it out and they replaced the hard drive free. This was with NO Applecare. Supposedly there is a recall on some of the old White MacBook hard drives as well as top cases.