EMERGENCY HELP ! Screen wont turn on.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Darthzilla, May 24, 2007.

1. Darthzilla macrumors member

So I just got home, turned on computer.

Saw it boot up, and laid down in bed for minute.

Got out of bed and my screen was black...i thought it was asleep ...i touched my mouse, then my tablet, then teh keys...nothing happened.

i turned it off manulally...turned it on...still black.

Im freaking...I NEED to see whats up.

Its a g4 imac ( the lamp/sunflower model )

Anything I can hold down during start up to fix things...if teh screen is dead ( how coudl that happen !? ) how much will it cost to fix ?!

Im a designer and i cant imagien not having things up and running...

PLEASE help if u can !

2. jng macrumors 65816

jng

If you restart it do you hear the startup Apple chime? turn up the volume on the keyboard. If so, maybe it is your screen.

3. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Are you sure that by any accident you do not have the brightness to the lowest? Far fetch I know...

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

If you do hear a chime when it starts up, wait a while for it to have a chance to load into OS X and then shift the screen around so as to catch the light or use a torch. If the backlight's blown (which is quite a common occurence in older LCDs) then this will be the way to tell. Your screen would still be working just not lit up.

5. Darthzilla thread starter macrumors member

Hmmmmmm...

Its VERY weird.

Everytime I start up..its works perfect, it chimes...the mouse turns on, tablet turns on...but the monitor isnt showing a thing ! Its like the monitor is stuck in sleep mode....I called Apple Support...which was kind've a joke...they cant say anything...and the only thing I didnt try was to unscrew the bottom, and push some button inside my computer that would re-set th energy something...which I HOPE is problem

I just cant belive that my screen went to sleep...and thats its....gotta be a a way to tell it to turn on...

unless it blew...which will suck...

im not enjoying life right now at all.

6. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Did you try what I suggested? Did you have a look at the screen up close with a light and from an angle to see if the screen is displaying stuff after all just without the backlight on?

7. Darthzilla thread starter macrumors member

unfortunatly i packed up my computer and headed out to the parents house so tomorrow i can hit an apple store early...

Im hoping its something easy...if its th PMU ( I HOPE ) that will be great...your suggestion is genius Wish i hadnt freaked out so bad and was paying attention to the boards...i'll update this thread when i find out whats up...

Im going to suggest we try that tomorrow at the apple store.