Emergency: How do you e-mail from within Word 2008

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MadDog31, Apr 1, 2008.

1. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

I've searched the forums everywhere, I've searched support sites, I've searched Google...

I cannot figure out how to e-mail from directly within Word 2008 like I can in Word 2007 on Windows! I'm looking for a simple button or menu option and I must be overlooking it...I HAVE to be...

Where is it?!? I need it b/c I have to get a press release sent out. This is the first day I'm using my MBP at work and figured it'd be easy to find. Obviously that's never the case when referring to the "beloved" MS stuff.

Thanks in advance,
    Ian:confused::confused:

2. millap macrumors regular

I can't try this as I don't have Word 2008...

Try creating a hyperlink with the mailto: tag in it, like you do when creating a link from a web page. If it works, it should open your default mail application when you click on the link.

3. MadDog31 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the response. I probably should be a tad more clear...haha

When I'm done typing a Word document, I like being able to click a button inside Word and having a To: CC: BCC: Subject: set of fields drop down so I can send people the text of the document in the body of a new e-mail.

It's possible in Windows' version of Office 2007, but in Office 2008 for the Mac, I can't find it ANYWHERE. I found an option as "Send as HTML" but it's either grayed out OR it the AppleScript tries sending it as an HTML attachment. That's not what I want.

I want the text of my Word document to be in the body of a new e-mail and to be able to send it right from Word w/o having to copy & paste over to Entourage.

Ian

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You can't send page by e-mail?

Also, Emergency? really?

5. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Once you've finished the document, you can click
    File
    Send To
    Mail Recipient (As Attachment)
    and it will open up your Mail program so you can fill in the destination email address. This sends a message with your document as an attachment.

But I don't think Word for Mac does what you have experienced on Word for PC. I've used that feature myself but frankly I'd rather the document remained as a document than become an email. Yes,that was my unsolicited two cents.

Cheers.

6. MadDog31 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe not fully an emergency...but I had to get a press release sent out today and had limited time to do it and it didn't get in by the deadline so it's had to get pushed to tomorrow.

I was just hoping to have the text in the body of the e-mail so people wouldn't necessarily have to open an attachment...seems as though in our experiences people are more likely to read if it's already in front of them and not having to double-click and save an attachment.

Lazy? Yes. But I gotta do what I gotta do. I guess I'll just find various other methods of doing so...copying/pasting, etc. Surprising they don't have this as at least an optional feature...it sure makes collaborating quick and easy.

7. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Mine does exactly what you were hoping it does. All I do is go to File>Send To>Mail Recipient as HTML

Once I do this it puts my text right in the e-mail and is ready to go. However, I also have Entourage setup, so that may be why... If you don't have Entourage setup, it may not know to open up Mail.app?? I don't know...

8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Can't you just copy/paste the contents into a new email? Or I am missing something...

9. MadDog31 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I got it to the point of setting Entourage as my default e-mail program which is fine and dandy, and I got the 'send to recipient as HTML' option set which is awesome...but then it wants to strip my font choice (from Century Gothic) to Times New Roman and doesn't want to allow me to add the attachments I need to include (a PDF version of my article and a jpeg image). Century Gothic has worked just fine in all my recipients' e-mail readers in the past so there's no reason it can't do so now.

I guess I'll be copying and pasting, reformatting it to add my line breaks back in, changing the font, and adding attachments that way. Great way to streamline things down... /sarcasm.

It's great to see Microsoft is still not capable of doing things other companies have mastered - making Windows and Mac versions of their software pretty damn close to identical, with all the same features front-to-back. I guess collaboration from within Word isn't something Mac users do.

I'm so glad I went Apple, now I just wish there was a damn viable Office alternative.