Emergency.... iMac screen wont turn on

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LiquidTrader, Dec 28, 2011.

1. LiquidTrader macrumors newbie

I just replaced the HDD and when I put it all back together. I would hear it power up but nothing on the monitor??

What can it be? When I replaced it. I did not take the whole monitor off just had a friend hold it up.

Any ideas?

2. simsaladimbamba

What iMac do you have? White, aluminium 16:10 or aluminium 16:9 iMac?

And how could you reach the HDD while the display is still connected by the two blue and two grey cables and that black cable you disconnect first? That is a very tight fit. Anyway, have you controlled all connections yet?

3. LiquidTrader thread starter macrumors newbie

I just took out the two cords ... They were lifting it. There is a lot of tape holding the monitor in so i just left it.

It's a 24" aluminum. 2007

4. simsaladimbamba

Okay, I have the 20" 2007 aluminium iMac and I had no tape holding the monitor, just screws, like the iFixIt guide shows.

Which guide did you use and can you link to it?

5. LiquidTrader thread starter macrumors newbie

I just looked at a few on YouTube. There was tape on the top part holding in the ribboned cords. What do you think it could be?

6. simsaladimbamba

Could it be this (the connection cable for the microphone)?
    [​IMG]

Could it be this (the LCD temp sensor)?
    [​IMG]

Could it be this (the data display connector cable)?
    [​IMG]

Could it be this (the inverter cables)?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Could it be this (the HDD thermal sensor)?
    [​IMG]

I guess, you just have to open it again and actually look.

And maybe show us the links to those guides on YouTube.

7. LiquidTrader thread starter macrumors newbie

If the microphone connector isn't in properly.... That could cause it to not work?

8. simsaladimbamba

I doubt that, as I recently put an Optibay into my MBP and had to disconnect the Bluetooth / AirPort cable and was still able to boot, though I just had no AirPort and Bluetooth.

It seems there is some other cable loose. You have to reopen it in order to troubleshoot.

Or:

9. LiquidTrader thread starter macrumors newbie

Any help? I tried Google and I see a lot get this problem after replacing HDD

10. ancelrick macrumors member

ancelrick

you have already received the best help possible.

Open it up and check all the connections in the pictures. Don't just look either, actually press them in place.

11. LiquidTrader thread starter macrumors newbie

All the wires are perfectly in place. I pressed them all in and still nothing. Why do people get this issue after replacing HDD

12. ancelrick macrumors member

ancelrick

1. LVDS (data cable in the pictures) cable not connected correctly.
    2. back light (all 4, two on each side) cables not connected correctly.
    3. display, LVDS cable, logic board or inverter board is now broken.

13. mstrze macrumors 68000

While your friend was holding up the monitor, there may have been some strain on the connectors and you may in fact NOT be getting a connection now, even though the connectors appear to be in place. The wiring inside may have become strained and separated from the connector.

14. LiquidTrader thread starter macrumors newbie

How would it break?

I could try actually removing the whole monitor and checking the wires back there. It appears the fan is not spinning either

15. mstrze macrumors 68000

With your friend holding/pulling on the monitor the wiring may have been pulled/tugged just enough to separate the wiring from inside one of the connectors. These connectors are not designed for any strain at all so tugging on the wiring would be enough to potentially cause problems.

Thus the connector may appear to be connected, but in fact within the plastic, the wire may have been pulled away from the copper/gold connecting piece.

Was it suggested that you not remove the monitor? Sounds like a dangerous way of doing an upgrade.

16. LiquidTrader thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to take out the HDD without taking it off. Plus didn't have the Torx T6 to remove the others

17. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

JUst a pointer mate,next time you take a PC to bits I recommend you acquire all the necessary torx screwdrivers. Then photograph everything as you go along, take pictures of not only the machine but also take shots of the bits you remove and lay on a clean sheet.

18. bmacir macrumors 6502

19. LiquidTrader thread starter macrumors newbie

No I didn't try the brightness. Do you think that may be it?

I took everything apart plus the monitor this time. Checked everything. Nothing looks messed up or unplugged. I don't get it.

20. simsaladimbamba

iMacs don't turn off their backlights when using the F1 key to lower brightness.
    And even if, the MBs and MBPs and MBAs all show a picture, even if the backlight was off during shutting it down, when starting it up.

21. LiquidTrader thread starter macrumors newbie

What else could it be? I looked at everything and nothing looks wrong.

22. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Did you actually re-seat each of the connectors? IE: Did you unplug and carefully full re-plug each connector. More than likely it is a connector problem... because they are the most fragile of the components in the machine. You might have damaged one to the point that the connector/cable needs to be replaced. It probably takes diagnostic tools beyond what you have.

You probably should start thinking about bringing it to a repair shop.

/Jim

23. bmacir macrumors 6502

Ok, it was worth a shot