Emergency mac convert assistance

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jasonbot, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I've been trying to convert my mom to mac for ages and nothing has helped. Recently she has been deciding between some HP laptop with specs equivalent to a low end MBP and a macbook which cost about the same. I took her to an apple store and she went to a PC store. I tried all my mac pro's PC cons trick but still she bought the PC. Her reasons were:
    • PC was cheaper based on specs
    • Mac was slow @ booting office due to Rosetta
    • Parallels ran slowly
    • She still has some PC apps she needs for work
    • Her work will not support her AT ALL if she has a mac, in terms of tech support for PC apps.
    • And in the end she says it was her own choice and not mine.

Whenever I try to speak to her further she shouts at me and gets all angry. I am just trying to show her simple computing because she is VERY computer illiterate. I've even set her up on the spare iMac @ home to show her the ease of OS X. But to no avail. She still has a 7 day 100% money back guarantee on the computer so it's not too late. Does anyone know if I can pull a final trick out of my sleeve?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

She's right, you're wrong. If her work won't support her, that outweighs anything you can say. Just stop nagging her about it and live with it.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I agree...it's time for you to respect her decision.

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

It sounds like she has valid and compelling reasons for sticking with a PC. You're insistence will only create problems in the end. If you DO succeed in bludgeoning her into switching when she really doesn't want to, she'll blame you for her subsequent computer unhappiness.

You've done all you could, probably more than you should have. Give it a rest. Leave the poor lady alone.

5. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

But why would someone not support software based on a hardware choice- thats like saying that they wont fix her [insert PC brand here] if she has a [insert opposition PC brand here]

6. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No, it's not at all. And I'm not going to discuss your mother's employers IT policies with you. IT support teams are busy but are usually one-trick ponies.

She's bought the machine that's right for her, not one that's right for you. Just let it go...

8. Hmac macrumors 68020

That's silly. Surely you must see the difference between an IT department supporting a Dell vs. HP and supporting a Dell vs Apple....

9. cube macrumors G4

Is the computer only for her?

Otherwise, the only solution for both would be BootCamp, but I doubt she want to try that now.

10. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

i was about to say the same thing

make sure ur new mom wants a mac!

11. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

If she really doesn't want a mac, don't force her..

Some in-house IT people in my opinion, are useless. They overcharged my mum's company for alot of crap they didn't need, screwed up installation, and it all ends up with me having to install stuff. *Hate Vista's 2 hour printer installation procedure*

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It comes down to this: if something happens to the machine and the company's support staff can't or won't help her because she has a machine about which they know little to nothing and you can't help her and she can't finish her work, she could lose her job.

What's worse, an HP computer or a MBP and a possibility of no job? I'd even use a Dell, if it meant keeping my job.

13. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

W:eek:W you guys are so negative! Anyways, she switched: She had complaints about vista and all. Honestly I'm not too sure about the full story but what I know is that she got a hot new 2.2Ghz MacBook Pro. In fact I'm typing this post from it right now. The whole thing about work support didnt seem to be such an issue, she bought parallels so all is well.

14. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

sinisterdesign

yup, converting zealotry can only go so far. i converted my mom a few years ago & she's very happy w/ her ibook now, even though she was a little frustrated at first.

big difference is that I'M my mom's IT dept & i was tired of trying to support windows over the phone. most every corporation i've ever worked for (apart from Apple themselves) has freaked when i've called in for help & told them i was using a Mac, even though i would only call in for some networking problem that was OS-independent. to many an IT dude sitting in closet, Macs are still shiny toys w/ some strange voodoo on them. don't know why, but that's my experience.

wish mom well w/ her HP & go back to enjoying OSX and when she calls wondering why something is broken, give her the IT help desk #...

15. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Check 1 post up :p