[Emergency] MacBook can't find the bootloader

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Suno, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

Mid-2012 MBP.

The only custom part I have is a 256gb SSD. The default partition that the computer boots to is bootcamp.

Basically, I let the battery die by accident when I forgot to plug the charger in. I plug it back in, boot up and it's fine the first time. Computer crashes almost immediately after and now every time I turn it on, I get a white screen. If I load into Mac partition, it gives me Internet recovery and asks me how I'm going to reinstall the os. If I boot into boot camp, I get a black screen telling me the bootloader is non-existent and to put in a recovery disk.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Boot into Internet Recovery and reinstall OS X. Relax - all your files, apps and preferences will remain intact.

3. Suno thread starter macrumors 6502

Suno

I can't reinstall OS X. I went into Internet Recovery and tried to do as you said, and it tells me that I already have the latest OS X installed and won't let me. Boot camp partition is locked.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

This is why one -always- keeps an external BOOTABLE backup drive around...

5. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

Boot recovery, bless the OS X partition (select it as startup drive), then reboot. You may eventually need a windows CD to repair the bootcamp volume.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

What is the exact text of this error message?