EMERGENCY! My MacBook was STOLEN

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zendar, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Zendar macrumors newbie

Hello All, i am in great trouble. My macbook was stolen this afternoon at my university, I went to the university police and they told me that i may give them my Macbook SN number, so that the regional police may track the machine's location whenever it comes online.

But i have long thrown away my Box, I can't find my receipt, and i don't remember i used SN to register at Apple.com. The only thing i can still find that bears a SN is the remote control, yet i m not pretty sure if that's the SN of my Macbook too as it wasn't mentioned in any document. The customer support has closed right now.

So can someone please tell me Any other possible way to find my SN? or may someone find their remote control, compare the SN on its back and the SN you find on battery back or "APPLE"->"ABOUT THIS MAC", tell me if they matches?

I hope I can get an answer ASAP, before my 2-year-accumulated data is ripped off by that person.

My greatest gratitude to your help.

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Place a call to Apple and see if they have it with your Apple Care plan if it was still active, but the remote # is not the same as the computer, I just checked mine.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

If you did go online and register your purchase with Apple when you bought it, they will have your SN stored. All hardware purchases must have the SN to register. If you did not, then that presents a problem! :(

Good luck- I hope you have success in getting it back!

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Did the Apple Store email you a receipt? Hopefully they did, b/c I request an email receipt on everything. Sorry for your loss. :(

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Damn that sucks to hear about that :(. Did you pay with credit card? They will have it on file along with the serial numbers. Call the apple store then.

6. WillMak macrumors 6502a

Give apple the e-mail you registered them with. They will automatically be able to tell you their s/n. If you didn't register tho....that could be a problem

7. 28monkeys macrumors 6502

28monkeys

man, sad for ya. I wish there is an auto self destruction function on your mac laptop to kill your thief upon wrong password insertion.

8. Zendar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys very much. I've found my receipt in piles of papers, and gave the SN to police, which made a small progress after all. Because i switched on the start-up password login, i m afraid that person may format and install a system(possibly, windows) on it, then i m done. It will be like finding my beloved girlfriend that has been away for 10 years but she ends up lost all her memory. Anyway, may the internet hook catch the thief before my macbook get raped. Thank you again for your responds.

9. 7031 macrumors 6502

Internet hook? Erm. Excuse me for my ignorance, but do they actually have any way of tracking your Macbook? Unless you've installed some tracking software or whatever, then I'm afraid you are out of luck. Even if it did connect to the internet, they would be needing the MAC address of whatever network card was used to connected, not the serial number.

Of course, let me know if you know differently.

10. Fenir macrumors regular

for future reference

Sorry to hear about the computer.

For future reference:
    http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/

Although my computer has yet to be stolen, if it ever happens hopefully this has me covered

11. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

He doesn't know differently. Unless you specifically installed a tracking software like Lojack, nobody can trace your computer - not even the police. Even with a Mac address, its impossible as they (a) are easily spoofed and (b) more importantly, the ISP is going to see the Mac address of the router, not the computer (everyone uses a router these days) so there isn't even a sliver of a possibility that MAC tracking could work (not that he has the MAC anyways).

There is no magical serial number input where you can just find where a computer connected to the internet... how could that even make sense?

Your computer is gone, and unless the guy gets arrested for something else with it on his person, its gone for good. Hopefully your renters/dorm/parents homeowners insurance covers it.

12. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

ooookaaay if i find a macbook and cant return it :eek:, lets just say i wont want to explode

13. 28monkeys macrumors 6502

28monkeys

okie so you don't try to turn that thing on OR even try to randomize the password, then you should be fine . :p