Emergency - Need Time Machine restoration help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DaveFP56, Jul 23, 2016.

1. DaveFP56 macrumors newbie

Long story short -

I have an external drive that functions as my main storage drive.

I inadvertently had Carbon Copy Cloner overwrite that drive withe the contents of my iMacs drive…….

Ugh.

But -

I have the storage drive data backed up to a dedicated Time Machine drive that includes the contents of the storage drive so I haven't lost anything.

I reformated the storage drive and now want to return all files to it from the Time Machine back-up.

What is the best way?

Can I just copy/paste the folders from the last back-up by utilizing Finder?

Is there an advantage to working through Time Machine?

If there is - how do I do it?

One small wrinkle - I read that if you utilize Time Machine the drive cannot be renamed. Is that true?

Any insights greatly appreciated !

Thank you!

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

don't use copy/paste in the Finder, as you might run into permissions issues with the restored folders.

I think the right way is (please wait for others to confirm before you take the plunge) :

1. connect to the Mac both the Time Machine drive and the Storage drive.

2. enter Time Machine interface.
    Select the date/hour you want to restore from

3. In Time Machine window, select the "Storage drive", right click, "Restore to :", select the Storage drive as destination, restore.

3. DaveFP56 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm freaking out bit; here's why

If I navigate to the Time Machine back-up with Finder I see that the last back-up was yesterday at 4:44.

If I open Time Machine it shows that Time Machine already has back-up the overwritten drive so the latest so the mess; not the old back-up..

Not sure what to make of it all…

Hope that makes sense.

They don't match….

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Once in Time Machine interface, you need to select a date/hour where the Storage drive content is still here.

It might be 2, 3, etc... days ago, depending on what day the Storage drive got inadvertently overwritten.

5. DaveFP56 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK - managed to find the folder and restore to new external - thanks all!