Emergency!!!! (possible malware infection)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rockwellsulcata, Dec 11, 2014.

1. rockwellsulcata macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I'm just going to get to the point. My macbook pro 15" 2009.

I was on youtube right? There was a mysterious ad saying something about a java plug in. Little did I know, that after I clicked on it, a website called mac-notifications said that adware has been installed on my computer, and can apparently mess up my computer really bad.

Their saying to call the number for help. But I'm worried that this is a fake number to install virus's. Oh and by the way, I'm pretty sure I have adware now, because a TON of ads are everywhere on my computer.

Thank YOU!
    Rockwell

2. ramram55 macrumors 6502

Do you have a backup disk ? install the backup that should do it. What I usually do is to use super duper to back up my HD, should something goes wrong, replace the internal drive.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    I updated the title, please avoid such generic titles, the more specific you can get, the better the help you'll receive. Many people may not go into a thread that says "help" or "Emergency"

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Use Time Machine, Clear Copy Cloner, or Super Duper to revert back to an hour or day before this happened.

Make sure you have Adblock Plus installed.

In the future, never click on adware. If you have a question as to possibly needing to update a driver or program, go to Apple or the developer's website for such.

I would also install free program called Adware Medic. Very good program.

5. rockwellsulcata thread starter macrumors member

Oh sorry, I probably should have put that in the title.

I downloaded the adware medic from safemac.com

It seemed to have worked, but I don't want to call it off yet. I deleted all of my bookmarks and history, so that could've worked too.

Thanks for the help, I will post an update.
    Rockwell

6. blooperz, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014

blooperz macrumors 6502

Not possible...but common sense dictates that you do not call any number provided by a website that installed malware/adware on your machine.