Emergency Question: Is Making New Admin Account a Safe Way to Delete Old Info?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theturtle, Jul 3, 2012.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

Selling my laptop in the next 2 hours and need an emergency question answered.

I had itchy fingers so I installed ML DP 4 on my 2012 macbook air. I have a meet up to sell it today at 11 and when i went to go restore it via Lion USB, it kept giving me a gray stop signal. i then tried the recovery partition and when i tried to erase the HD, i kept getting the couldnt unmount error. As a last resort, I just deleted my info from safari and chrome and then made the new admin account and erased my old accounts. I checked "securely delete" but im not sure that makes a difference.

are all my personal info officially off the computer or is it somewhere in there? Please help!!

edit:
    this was supposed to go in the MBA section -_-

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

As long as any and all personal information and files were stored in directories within that account you deleted, and not on the root of the drive, you should be ok.

Though I do question the idea of selling a laptop with a developer edition of Mountain Lion on it. I don't know all about that stuff, but it seems like it could be a violation of the ToS for the developer program. Or maybe I'm wrong.

3. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I had iffy feelings also. I never listed "with ML" because i planned on restoring to Lion but unfortunately it seems as though I am stuck.

I mean, if anyone could point me to the right direction on what to do, it would be much appreciated.

with the laptop being so new, the only personal info i had were through googe/safari. I reseted both. I just hope that the reset is thorough enough that no traces can be retrieved.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Do you have a Snow Leopard disc you can use? If so, install that and then upgrade it back to Lion through the MAS.

5. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

if I recall correctly. A fellow mr member wrote a thread on how 2012 machines cannot be restored via the MAS lion. Also 2011/2012 can't be restored to SL, I don't think.

I know when I tried reverting back to lion from MAS, I received the same error OP saw.

6. paul117 macrumors regular

when u say u have a lion USB is that a recovery USB from apple or did u use a spare usb and get it off apples website? if so did u create it while u had ML installed?