Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZeitGeist

Suspended
Mar 22, 2005
My number one issue here. The off button is also the same button you use to confirm Apple Pay or trigger an SOS. When I first got my iPhone X, I looked like an idiot everytime I tried to use Apple Pay because it wasn't at all intuitive to double press the "OFF" button when you want to confirm. Had they kept the sleep button on the top, they could have then easily allowed the volume rocker switches to then be the confirm buttons and keep the functions separate.

Don’t get me started - that whole fiasco of compromises turned a formerly intuitive user interface and UX into a hopeless mess.

Glad that’s being corrected after 2020. What a bunch of idiots that thought these were good ideas.

“You’ll get used to it”

I guess Apple got used to 20% sales losses...

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Don’t get me started - that whole fiasco of compromises turned a formerly intuitive user interface and UX into a hopeless mess.

Glad that’s being corrected after 2020. What a bunch of idiots that thought these were good ideas.

“You’ll get used to it”

I guess Apple got used to 20% sales losses...
What is changing in 2020?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
What is changing in 2020?

Maybe some people expect a dramatic redesign at that stage. Bringing back all the old glory, the headphone jack, Touch ID, home button, rainbow coloured Apple logo and an extra button just to call emergency services. ;)

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Oh, right, “they’re holding it wrong”, right?

I have no idea what they heck they are doing. It's never happened to anyone I know. It's never happened to me. It's not Apple's fault. Have a nice day. BTW: The so called antenna gate your silly quote refers to was also a whole big nothing burger. Just silly people making silly claims. The 4 was one of the best iPhone ever made. I have one that works perfectly to this day. Has never dropped a call.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
My watch did it a couple of times. I ride a motorcyle and wear gloves (all the time), in putting on my gloves, I pressed on the side of the watch accidentally. I got a call from the local PD asking to be more careful! Thoght it would be a good idea in case something happened on a ride, but I shut it off.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
it’s not a feature for everyone just like any other feature
It can be turned off for those that find it annoying However some people find it a useful feature.

Pamela5

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2016
I want to be able to turn off my phone using just the power button like every other phone out there. The two button juggling to turn off the phone and forcing sos call is absurd and I hope Apple listens to feedback and removes these bad changes.

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I want to be able to turn off my phone using just the power button like every other phone out there. The two button juggling to turn off the phone and forcing sos call is absurd and I hope Apple listens to feedback and removes these bad changes.

Who’s providing feedback?! Personally I don’t see anyone complaining about this.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Who’s providing feedback?! Personally I don’t see anyone complaining about this.
Plenty of people have complained about this for years, look through this thread alone. Anyone who hasn’t either hasn’t noticed it or is apathetic. It’s literally the dumbest implimentation of a feature I’ve ever seen.
[automerge]1590535771[/automerge]
it’s not a feature for everyone just like any other feature
It can be turned off for those that find it annoying However some people find it a useful feature.
No, it can’t be turned off that’s the whole point.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Cant say its happened to me either.. maybe your jeans are way to tight lol. Even your phone is uncomfortable.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Plenty of people have complained about this for years, look through this thread alone. Anyone who hasn’t either hasn’t noticed it or is apathetic. It’s literally the dumbest implimentation of a feature I’ve ever seen.

I understand that but Complaining here is not providing feedback, is it?! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The SOS automatic call can be disabled.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Seems like the ability to disable the automatic call option, which is what was presented as the issue originally, is something that can be turned off, as has been mentioned in various earlier replies.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

It just should have been opt-in. The first time my wife tried to turn off her phone it happened. At least if it were off by default she would have had to do the five taps or slide the slider to call 911. Wonder how many false alarms 911 got right after the feature was implemented.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I've accidentally triggered SOS on my Samsung phone. I've not once accidentally triggered on the Iphone. That would seem pretty difficult to accidentally do on the Iphone. Maybe the Apple watch I could see that happening.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
The interface wasn't Apple's idea. The whole feature is required by Indian law for all smartphones sold in their country in order to reduce sexual assaults.

Apple mentions this

(In India, you only need to press the button three times, then your iPhone automatically calls emergency services.)

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
Just turn off auto call in your settings.

F12F7B83-7564-4F9D-831E-9FB09EE11B7C.jpeg

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
You can NOT disable the phone's ability to dial 911 by pressing and holding the power button and either the volume up or down button. This is hard coded into iOS and you do NOT have the ability to turn it off in settings.
And for good reason. It means if _you_ pass out or get into trouble then _I_ can take your locked phone and call emergency services. Even if you don't have a SIM card or your monthly minutes have run out. That may actually be a legal requirement.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
And for good reason. It means if _you_ pass out or get into trouble then _I_ can take your locked phone and call emergency services. Even if you don't have a SIM card or your monthly minutes have run out. That may actually be a legal requirement.

That legal requirement was satisfied by the emergency call mode in the lock screen, which has been around since the iOS 1.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Why can’t you do that from your phone?

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Why can’t you do that from your phone?

The ability to make emergency calls while locked is specified in the GSM standard. Everybody didn't have a phone in the early 90s when it was written, and car phones were still popular.

Again, the overall panic button functionality was dictated by Indian law to deter sexual assaults, a situation where you do not want to take the time to unlock your phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.