Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple announced during its "Wonderlust" event that Emergency SOS via Satellite and Find My via Satellite will be available in Spain and Switzerland later in September.

Emergency-SOS-via-Satellite-iPhone-YT.jpg

Both features are currently available in 14 countries and regions, including Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Portugal, the U.K., and the U.S.

Emergency SOS via Satellite was introduced with the iPhone 14 models and can be activated when an emergency situation occurs and there is no WiFi or cellular connection available. While the feature is geared to help users in a genuine emergency, Apple's satellites also make it possible for anyone to share their location whenever they are off the grid via Find My.
The feature's upcoming availability in Spain and Switzerland is likely tied either to the iPhone 15 series launch in those countries or the availability of iOS 17, which is being released globally to the general public on September 18.

Apple during its event also announced new Roadside Assistance vis Satellite, which is similar to Emergency SOS, but it allows iPhone users to contact roadside assistance if they have car trouble in an area without cellular or Wi-Fi connectivity. Available only in the United States for now, Roadside Assistance is being offered through a partnership with AAA.

Article Link: Emergency SOS via Satellite Coming to Spain and Switzerland Later This Month

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Finally!!!!! 🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸

It was the reason I bought an iPhone 14 Pro!

I'm a big road cyclist and often lose signal when cycling in the middle of nowhere. It's very common to be on the open roads around here and not see a soul for 2-3 hours. No cars, no people, maybe a farmer in the distance, but generally nothing.

The same goes for the mobile connectivity. Hallelujah!!!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Anyone notice they sneakily mentioned it will be free for two years? So starting year 3, Apple will save your life, but only if you pay up.

Maybe, maybe not. By setting a fixed duration, rather just say free, if Apple decides to charge they can’t be accused of offering something for free and then later charging for it. Apple can always extend the free period but this is probably a lawyer induced caveat.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Anyone notice they sneakily mentioned it will be free for two years? So starting year 3, Apple will save your life, but only if you pay up.

I think that was a joke, but more likely it will come free for X amount of time with new phones and be bundled or something with iCloud+ at one of the levels thereafter and up. The more reasons they give to have people subscribe, the happier Apple will be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.