EMI on a PMG5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Zeke D, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I have to keep my PMG5 on it's side due to space limitations. I still want to keep my eMac beside it, but I wanted to know if I need to worry about EMI from the CRT of the eMac. Or is the aluminum chassis enough to create an EMI shield?

Also for best air flow, the PMG5 will be on it's door, with the CPUs and logic board suspended. Shouldn't be an issue, as they are screwed in etc.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The eMac's CRT is shielded to protect nearby devices. If is was using a mid-90's or older CRT, then you would have to worry about it.

How well does your G5 work on it's side? I've often thought about doing that to mine.

3. Zeke D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

TYVM.
    As for on it's side, I don't expect any issues. The desk has a venting hole, so by orienting it on it's side, up side down, the CPU fan exhaust will be directed at the vent. I will post if there are any issues (Other than the optical not wanting to hold the disc)

Attached Files:

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Whys the eMac on the floor? It looks so sad down there. One thing about the G5, if you can you may want to flip it over. The side you currently have as down makes more heat then the side you have as up. But this would block all access into the G5 without moving it.

5. Zeke D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I actually have it laying on it's door now so the cpu exhaust fan is next to the wall of the desk, closer to the desk's vent. I need to get an adapter to plug the emac into the monitor. They are like $10 on amazon with shipping.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Door down is the better way. That side doesn't make much heat at all.