Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Beats 1 DJ Zane Lowe has teased an image on Instagram that confirms hip-hop artist and rapper Eminem will be the first guest interviewed on the global radio station, which launches as part of Apple Music next week. Eminem's appearance is largely unsurprising given that he has a close relationship with Beats co-founder Dr. Dre and is signed to his record label Aftermath Entertainment.

Eminem-Zane-Lowe-Beats-1.jpg

Lowe has interviewed several high-profile artists as a former BBC Radio 1 DJ, including Chris Martin, Eminem, Kanye West, Jay Z and Rick Rubin, and those type of guest appearances on Beats 1 could be a major drawing point towards Apple Music. The streaming music service will also lure subscribers with a free three-month trial period and exclusive content such as Pharrell's new single Freedom.

Article Link: Eminem Provides First Beats 1 Guest Interview With DJ Zane Lowe

Reactions: The Doctor11

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Remember when Zane Lowe interviewed Eminem over 10 years ago on Radio 1...

Em chucked him out of the studio and took over the entire show himself :cool:

Reactions: Opieap13

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Slim Shady thinks that guy is weird/scary/dumb based on that picture. I'm going to assume the entire interview is the sound of Eminem beating that guy up.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
This thing is going to be interesting, I wonder if they will archive shows. I will likely enjoy listening to this more so than the Radio.

Hope they're going to have some real musicians involved at some point. It's all rhymers and boom-boom-boom music up to now. Someone who can play a guitar would be nice. (That excludes you, The Edge! :) )

I am all for rock and alternative music but really?

Just because it is a different genre doesn't make it less real.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
lemme guess, em says 'um' and licks his lips before everything he says. then some mention of the beats acquisition since he's best buds with dre, talk of past drug use and recovery, the 'state of hiphop,' and talk of new material that may or may not come out.

i dig a fair share of em's catalog, but i've yet to hear him 'be real' in any public facing forum ever.. guys so self-aware it's hard to watch or listen to, imho. i'd have picked someone a bit more dynamic and loose to get a vibe going. not my first, second or 600th pick for first guest.

darkknight14

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2011
I hope given Apples variety of music performers (Norah Jones, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Jack Johnson) in the past that we can expect a good selection of interviews coming from Mr Lowe. I am a fan of his past interviews!

joshavtech

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
VA
Question..

Let's say I subscribe to Apple Music and I stream songs from albums I own. Will Apple pay for me to stream it on all of my devices?

Do you mean will Apple pay for the data usage on LTE? I really wish they would. Apple would really change our worlds if they could get unlimited Apple Music streaming on LTE for free.

Otherwise, you can already stream the songs on other devices through iCloud without subscribing to Apple Music.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
This will be very interesting for me, but what happens if I miss the live one? Or I'm in a different timezone? How does time zones work and missing things like this?

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
Question..

Let's say I subscribe to Apple Music and I stream songs from albums I own. Will Apple pay for me to stream it on all of my devices?

I would assume that if you're streaming it from your library they're not gonna pay. If you're streaming it from the Apple Music database then they probably would.

lemme guess, em says 'um' and licks his lips before everything he says. then some mention of the beats acquisition since he's best buds with dre, talk of past drug use and recovery, the 'state of hiphop,' and talk of new material that may or may not come out.

i dig a fair share of em's catalog, but i've yet to hear him 'be real' in any public facing forum ever.. guys so self-aware it's hard to watch or listen to, imho. i'd have picked someone a bit more dynamic and loose to get a vibe going. not my first, second or 600th pick for first guest.

He was pretty unfiltered in the first half of his career. Now he's alot older and mellowed out. He's already very unfiltered, blunt, and honest in his music. That's one of his trademarks that's made him as big as he is so most people dont really mind what he does or doesn't say in his interviews because most things people want to know are in his music already.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
With hosting its own real radio station, Apple is now a music media and not just a tech company.

Thats a big step actually in a very important business...

Good luck!

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
I would assume that if you're streaming it from your library they're not gonna pay. If you're streaming it from the Apple Music database then they probably would.

Well, since my purchased songs and my apple music subscription are getting the music from the itunes store, I would assume they're the same database. Unless you mean I haven't downloaded the purchased version of the song to my device and just stream it.

Also, what about the same song on a different album. Say, I buy James Taylor's Greatest Hits. I own a copy of "Sweet Baby James". I'm a subscriber and I do a search for "Sweet Baby James" in the new Music App and press play on the track from the original album. Does Apple pay then?

I'm just posing hypothetical situations because this is very interesting to me for some reason.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Do you mean will Apple pay for the data usage on LTE? I really wish they would. Apple would really change our worlds if they could get unlimited Apple Music streaming on LTE for free.

Otherwise, you can already stream the songs on other devices through iCloud without subscribing to Apple Music.
No, not quite what I meant. I meant does apple pay content creators for the songs I play regardless if i've purchased them before or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.